Chapter XXIX

Every wolf limped back to the tents, the elderly already rushing out to come to treat their wounds. I still felt dizzy from the big panther and my bandage on my hand had come undone, making it sting whenever we put our paw on the dark grass.

I put a blanket over myself, shivering. I met up with the Alphas, West, and my council and told them what had happened and why their side immediately stopped fighting. Their eyes grew wide at what the Dark wanted.

"Alpha Isla. I would offer myself at any cost but I'm old and my skills aren't as fast as they used to be." Osmin said.

Lance sighed. "I can do it."

I shook my head quickly. "No, you can't. You need someone of Alpha blood and I need you to be mated before you leave your pack."

Everyone started to volunteer themselves but there was always a reason why they technically could never go. There was always something holding them back. I growled in frustration. I should have mated with West before fighting. This way, I would know the Sunshine Pack would be in good hands.

"I'll go." A voice whispered. Eyes followed to Mallory, who spoke. "Though I am right now the Beta, I still have Delta blood. There's no use to me."

Jenna spoke quickly. "B-but you're the savior! You have to"

"Save everyone now. I think this is my time. I'm going to die, perhaps, but I'll at least know that our pack is safe." She looked extremely determined. She was always ready for this moment; she was waiting for this point in her life to come. She's an inspiration.

We led her out to the clearing, the hour almost up. "This guy is tricky. He regenerated his cats, I don't know if he'll regenerate himself. You have to be careful. He's quick and cunning. But I know you'll whoop him to high heaven. You'll tell him to learn his place." Ryan said, laughing a little, yet you could hear a sadness tilt to his voice.

Mallory smiled and hugged him tightly. "I hope you find your mate soon. She deserves a guy like you."

Right before she shifted, I heard him mutter under his breath, "I thought I did." Her wolf growled and snapped her jaws to the other end of the forest. Just as I suspected, the man came out with two cats on his side.

"HEY!" I yelled. "It's a duel! Only one being from each side!"

The Dark giggled creepily. "Oh but I am. See, I don't count as a being. Otherwise, how would I be able to capture the Goddess? These panthers are also one. They are one."

I gritted my teeth, angry that he was playing unfairly. My hazel eyes flashed fiercely. This was outrageous. I hoped that Mal was able to do this.

Her wolf jumped back at forth, crouching each time as the panthers faced her, licking their lips. Without a second thought, she leaped at the first one, bringing him down as she tore into his waist. Olivia had taught her one time when you were faced with two enemies and the only one you, use your peripherals to make sure they wouldn't strike you from behind.

I mentally cheered when her back legs kicked to the feline that was about to pounce behind her. Suddenly the panther she had killed before appeared near the Dark again, making me curse inwardly. This would never end. Pretty soon, by the rate she was fighting, she would get exhausted, making it easy for them to rip her limb from limb. I almost cried by the thought. Why did Mallory do this?

The cat swatted her tired body like a ball of yarn, making her howl in pain when it reached contact with the wound she had received before. Her beautiful silver-white fur was drenched with blood, both the enemies' and her own. They started to play with her weak body, not even ending it; they were just torturing her.