Chapter 1. The bite

Draco Malfoy did not appreciate being awoken. Especially if it was in the middle of the night and especially if it was by his weird aunt. Her tall figure was standing at the foot of his bed, breathing heavily as if she’d been running, while pointing her wand at him. His first reaction was to go back to sleep and simply ignore her, but something about her made him hesitate. Perhaps it was the fact that she had never before visited him in his room before, especially at night, or it had something to do with his aunt being completely mental.

   "Get up," she said and motioned with her wand. 

   "Bellatrix, just in case you haven't noticed; it's three am. I was asleep and would prefer to continue doing that," he said after a quick glance at his clock. "Whatever it is you want me to do, I'm sure it can wait until morning. Preferably after breakfast." 

   Bellatrix huffed irritably and grabbed his arm and forced him out of bed. "You don't understand Draco. This isn't a game. The Dark Lord wants to see you and he will not be happy if we're late."

   Draco's mind froze with excitement and, although he would never admit it to his aunt, fear. He tried controlling his voice as he asked: "What does he want from me?" as he spoke he got up from bed and dressed as quickly as he's could. 

   "Oh, you'll see, dear nephew. All I can tell you is this; you wanted to join him, didn't you? Wanted to get the mark and replace your father?"

   Bellatrix giggled as she led him through the upper floor. They stopped at the grand staircase and she seemed to he listening. She lowered her voice.

   "We can't wake Cissy up. You know what she's like; she worries too much. This will be our little secret, alright?"

   As they left the house, Bellatrix became more and more excited. She was almost jogging, and Draco fearing that he'd be late for the Dark Lord, hurried after her. But once they got outside the gates, she didn't apparate them, like he expected. Instead, they walked towards the forest. Before they reached it, they heard it. A loud howling. Draco's blood froze to ice and he instinctively grabbed his aunt's arm.

   "There's a werewolf. You heard that, right? We need to leave, quickly. It must be close …" but to his surprise, Bellatrix just laughed and shook off his grip.

   "Goodbye, Draco." she said and before he could react, she had disapperated.

   Fear taking over he turned around towards the forest, hoping that the werewolf was far away. A dark, large figure by the beginning of the forest rolled him otherwise. He turned around and ran as fast as he could, nor daring to look over his shoulder to see if it was following him. He heard the beast following, it's large paws thundering against the cold ground, the growling beckoning louder. He was almost by the gate; if he only could get to the gate the beast wouldn't be able to get to him through the protection spells. And then, he fell. His left wrist snapped and although he couldn't feel the pain, he knew he had broken it. As he tried to stand up, tried to reach his wand, the beast was over him. Red eyes staring down at him, those looking fangs he had dreamt nightmares about ever since he saw a picture of a werewolf in one of his dad's books as a kid, and a horrid smell of what he only could imagine was blood and human decay. He screamed and … 

He always had assumed that death would be darkness. Nothing but unbearable, unbreakable, unbelievable darkness. But this, this was not darkness. It was bright lights, so bright it hurts his eyes. He closed then instinctively, but not able to avoid the brightness. He covered his eyes with his hand, and as he did so he was perplexed. He didn't know you could close your eyes, nevertheless move your arms, when you were dead. Funny, he thought. Even death surprises people. But then he heard something, many things as a matter of fact. Someone was sobbing, someone was whispering hurriedly and someone was clamping around. He removed his hand and sat up, looking around. He was unmistakably in a healing room. His mother was sobbing as an unknown wizard was whispering to her and the witch that was clamping around was wearing a healer's uniform. What in the bloody hell was going on?