Chapter 1: Saturday Night Hockey

~November 2034~

My father has been playing in the NHL for sixteen years. Sixteen seasons and eleven playoffs. He's that good. People all around the state know him as the guy who made hockey famous in Seattle. Before him the town had neither a team nor a love for the sport. Thanks to him, they have both. The only thing my father never gave Seattle was the Stanley cup. He tried nine times in Seattle, but since his talent isn't enough, they were eliminated each time. They went all the way to the final twice but lost to the Boston Bruins the first time and to the Las Vegas Kings two years ago. The only thing that never changed, the only thing that will always stay the same is my mom, Theo and I attending every single home game and watching every other on TV. It's our ritual: we meet up at home after school, head to the arena to have dinner with my dad (hot-dogs for us and a salad for him) and watch the game with a bowl of popcorn and blankets. After the game, we go to a café for hot chocolate and we talk about the game, our weeks at school or at work. Saturday has always been my favorite day of the week. We are more assiduous with Saturday Night Hockey than the Pope with his prayers. Often, Olive and her son Hudson join us to watch the game since her husband, Alexander, is the team's physiotherapist. Theo and Hudson always end up playing whatever game they're into these days instead of watching what's happening on the ice and it used to bother me, but I've grown to love my brother's disinterest for our father's job.

For the past two years, Felix sometimes joins my family and me at the arena. Even if he wasn't a big hockey fan when we first met, he came to love the sport as he fell for me. That's exactly what happened to my mom and it flatters me that, even if my dad's relationship with hockey is stronger than mine will ever be, Felix was willing to integrate this into his routine.

Tonight, the Sockeyes play against the Vancouver Canucks. Games against the Canucks are the hardest for my father since his NHL dream was to play for them. We just left him near the changing rooms and are making our way to our reserved seats in the family section of the arena.

"We have to talk about this, Oph. It's not because we keep pushing it away that it'll leave," Felix whispers in my ear as we sit at the end of the fourth row. We're right behind the goal – as usual – it'll be a great game; I can feel it.

"I know, just not now, please."

"The deadline is in twelve weeks and I know you haven't written your essays. It stresses me out." Deadlines, essays, everything for college. Felix has been anxious about applying for college since the end of our Junior year. Every week, the subject comes up, which enlightens the fact that I still haven't decided what course I want to sign up for or what college I preferred during our visits.

"Exactly, twelve weeks is plenty of time. I've always been good at writing, you know that." And with a roll of his eyes, he lets it go for the hundredth time.

Felix's comment deconcentrated me for more than half the game. Every time he brings it up, it sends my brain into a decision frenzy as if I had to make my mind up this very second. I always put important decisions in boxes, forbidding myself to really think about them, telling myself that the answer will come on its own, and it usually works. Like my summer job, I had applied to two different ones, and got both of them. I put off deciding which one I would take until one of them called me to say they had given the job to someone else. I took the other one – a day camp job – and really enjoyed it. But my future isn't a decision I can throw in the back of my mind any longer. I need to apply to college before February 1st and I still have no idea where I want to go. Felix knows. After following Alexander around last summer, he decided to become a physiotherapist too. It's Felix's love for sports who got him interested just like it happened for Alex.

"Ophelia stay with Theo, I'll go check on your father," my mother yells at me. I come out of my trance to see everyone rushing on the ice and every spectator running towards the glass to see what happened.

"What? What happened? I didn't see. Mom, what happened to dad?" But she's already very far. Her small figure is making her way through the hundreds of people who try to do the same as her: understand why my father is laying on the ice not moving at all. 

Chapter 1!! So sorry for the wait. I'll try to give you the next chapter more quickly. Please vote if you've enjoyed this chapter!!