Chapter 3: Your Dad

My dad has been home for two weeks and he's already bored. Usually, when he's on vacation, so are we; Theo and I are out of school and my mom is taking breaks from working on her newest novel, but, in November, none of that is possible. And he can't work out. And he can't play drive. And he can't be seen in public too much in case the severity of his injury comes out. So, he's bored out of his mind. And he bugs Theo and I the second we come home from school. I'm lucky, I come home an hour after Theo, so they're usually already doing something together. He just texted me an extremely long paragraph about how funny an afternoon show on ABC is. He uses Siri to text now, so we have novels every time he wants to talk about something. The most recent one ended with: "Invite Felix over for dinner, it's Friday, so we'll order pizza and Alex and Olive are coming with Hudson, so it'll be fun. Have a nice afternoon Oph, I'll see you later." So, now, I'm looking for Felix to invite him, so he can be my father distraction for the evening. The good thing is that every senior has their locker in the same hallway to "create a family" like the weekly pep rallies and mandatory senior activities aren't enough. We've all been here since fifth grade; we already know everyone. Before I can spot Felix, Mandy, the girl in charge of about every club, stops me.

"Hey, Ophelia, as you know I am the editor of the school's newspaper and we want to do a piece on your dad, so I was wondering if you could hit me up with an interview with him? Anytime, anywhere, I'll be there." So peppy, she should be a cheerleader, but that's about the only club she isn't in. I can't help but cringe when I hear her say: "hit me up." Mandy's been all over my father ever since she found out who he was. "He's so hot, so in shape, and still so young, I wonder if he'd go for someone like me," I heard her say in the locker rooms freshman year.

"Why do you want to interview my dad?" I try to keep walking, but she moves to stand in front of me.

"Well, apart from the obvious reasons, he donated so the school could afford the new sport facility, so we wanted his opinion on that." The obvious reason? What's the obvious reason? She wants to try and get in his pants?

"You know my dad's married? To my mom. And that he's 37?" I hate her. In general, people are really cool and don't make a big deal out of me being Benji Johnson's daughter since many of the other kids have rich parents, but Mandy is a little obsessed. She first tried to be my friend, but it failed when her only subject was my father's accomplishments. I don't want her to come to my house and I don't want her to interview my dad.

She rolls her eyes before answering. "I know he's married. I'm over that, I just want to interview him and make a good article. Can you help me do that?" She's doing the puppy eyes now. I see Felix walking towards me in his soccer uniform. I forgot he had a practice after school... I'll have to watch it if I want him to come to dinner. I grab his arm as he walks by.

"I'll ask, but I don't guarantee anything. My dad's a bit shy on interviews. I gotta go, now. Bye Mandy." Felix's arm still in mine, I start walking very fast towards the gym.

*

Seattle isn't known for its pizza, but it should be. Especially the place we order from, Sal's, it's amazing. His business exploded when my dad posted a picture of his pizza on Instagram. Since that day, Sal always puts our order first when we call. Famous dads have their perks. I love family dinners, mostly the ones that involve non-family members like Alex, Olive, Hudson, and Felix. They're more fun than uncle Will and aunt Jo with their twins who never make a sound. After dinner, we always end up in the basement where we plan a baby foot and pool tournament. As Hudson and Theo argue over which color team to choose, I go sit by my dad.

"Dad? There's a girl at school who wants to interview you for the paper, but I need you to say no." He looks surprised. Maybe it's because I talked really fast.

"Why? You ashamed of me?" I know he's joking when he winks.

"No, I just don't like that girl, and I don't want her to come to our house." He's having so much fun with this. Felix isn't his entertainment, I am.

"So, the interviewer's the problem, not the interview?"

"Exactly."

"Well, then, I'll do it but not with that girl. Pick a color Theo, any color. It won't change the results. Your brother, I swear."

"Have you read the school's newspaper? They're all bad writers. They'll ask about the color of the locker rooms, or about how it feels to be a pro hockey player. You know they did a piece on the new vending machines last month? Apparently, the prices are ten cents too high comparing to Seattle's public high schools. It'll be awful and of that I'll be ashamed."

"You do it, then. Ask me what you want and what you think they want to know." He says that like it's not a big deal.

"I'm not on the paper."

"Who cares. Just tell that Mandy that I won't do it if you're not interviewing me. I'll look like a diva, but who gives a shit. A damn," he corrects when my mother turns around to stare at him.

I don't go to bed until midnight. Even Felix went to bed before me, which is saying something since, he usually studies pretty late. I spent all night preparing questions, anticipating answers, thinking of follow-up questions until I had about fifteen questions and a plan for a good interview. Questions that aren't asked often, that aren't clichés, and that will force my father to think about his answers. To more I planned, the more excited I got. I always loved watching my dad in interviews, but I never thought I'd be the one asking questions one day. 

Two updates in two days, I'm on fire!