Part 1 of Many

"It's been months, nearly a year, why haven't I felt any better about this yet...? A 16 and a half year old, that's still heartbroken over his ex-girlfriend...What a fuckin joke." And this young man gets under his quilt and turns over, facing the wall.

In the morning, only a few hours later, the young man wakes up groggy, angry and depressed as every other day beforehand. Mood.

"Oh hello there, Mamoru. How come you're downstairs so early on a Saturday, hm?" "Oh fuck...it is only Saturday. Ugh." This harsh language upsets this woman. "Language, Mamoru!" "No thanks. I'll mind my language in the presence of damn kids." At least he's responsible I guess...? "No! You mustn't talk so vulgarly! What if a potential employer hears you talking like that, hm?!" Mamoru just ignores this and continues to the kitchen counter.

Mamoru now starts making instant coffee, while fixing himself up some cereal. But his mother is now demanding a response. "Mamoru!! What the hell will you do if a potential employer hears you talk so dirty? You'll become a N.E.E.T!" Oh, we are actually doing this. "Oh yes, because an employer is going to give 2 shits about my language when I'm doing the job they pay me for. No! That's just dumb as bricks. Besides, I always try to talk nicely or at least calmly around new people..." Mamoru's mother quietens down and Mamoru himself, gets his cereal and coffee.

After finishing breakfast and chugging the coffee, with his pinky raised. Because he's a high class gremlin if anything. "*Burp* Oough, crap." Goes Mamoru. "You're supposed to say 'pardon me' or 'excuse me' when you do that, or pass gas!" Corrects his mother. Without saying a word, our protagonist gets up from the dining table by the window, brings his bowl & cup to the sink, washes them and leaves back to his bedroom. 

Upon reaching and entering the room, Mamoru opens the curtains. "Ngh...! Always gets me." Is what he mutters, as the sudden letting in of light hits his eyes. Then he opens the windows slightly, for airflow I guess? "Ah~ Time for some internet surfing with friends...if I had any left that contact me after highschool." He laments. Mamoru starts gearing up a strange set of wiring and equipment. "Now to choose the position I sit in for the next few hours...Maybe a meditation position so I can at least look and maybe even feel relaxed?" He ponders, before sitting into his clearly used chair. "Yeah. Let's get on some Zen shit..." Mamoru states, before powering on a headset & visor. Pink and Blue neon lights shoot across the visor's engraved lines, before they fully light up as pale green.

Cue a transition process where all immersion is tested. Hearing, Sight, Taste, Touch, Smell among other readings. "Oh, my heart rate is above my personal average today? I wonder what's different..." Mumbles Mamoru, as he then logs into his system. 'Username: MamoruBattleon / Password: *********' Cue a loading screen that then turns 3D, with it appearing as the loading bar is going through a small/short maze. "That loading screen maze is looking a little 2292...Time to bring it into 2294, but what to use? ...Ah screw it. I don't have time for this now."

A long stretch of green, pink, blue and yellow pixels begin swirling to the left of Mamoru. They then shape a road and a rather retro looking surfboard. Really taking the phrase 'surfing the internet' to the literal extent. And it's ridden like a skateboard to start off with, as it floats a few inches off the ground like a hoverboard. Groovy, I hate it. What seems to be a portal then opens up at the middle to end section of this road. "Well then, time to surf into a random ruins-type terrain server and hope for the best! ...Again." On goes Mamo to his board as he starts gaining some momentum, starting to feel the breeze coming from the open portal he's headed for, from his neo dark mode login screen. Which is just really dark gray coloured panels for a round room, with that has small spaces between them for lights to the rhythm of a heartbeat.

Mamo ends up going up a semi natural ramp, made from a fallen piece of rebar concrete. "Whao-hoo! Shi-hiit!" He shouts, landing on the water covered ground as he continues to gain speed, as he's looking around the place. "Partially collapsed buildings, even with vines and moss growing over them!" Another piece of flat enough rubble and Mamo launches himself up, before somersaulting mid-air to the right!  "Hahaa! This place is great! I could never've done that in real life.." It honestly looks like this little number from Cowboy Bebop:

" It honestly looks like this little number from Cowboy Bebop:

Only the water level is much lower where Mamo is surfing. Just a few millimetres above the concrete in fact.

But quite suddenly, Mamo stops his momentum. Even going as far as stopping his 'board like a pair of ice skates, in front of this open door into a corridor made from the rubble! "Whoa. This place looks like people have been here recently..." A voice calls back from inside the place. "Try people being here right now!" Mamo freezes on the spot as he jumps up in shock.