Relationships

Eurydice brushed her short, black hair, gazing into the shining vanity mirror. Excitement prickled at every inch of her body. She spun around, admiring the flowy red dress Jace got her.

Jace was a young man who worked for Hades, her adoptive father. He had short brown hair that parted at the side, a rectangular face, ocean blue eyes, and fair skin. He worked for Hades, considering he had died fourteen years prior to meeting Eurydice. Eurydice didn't just like his looks- she found him hardworking... he could be kind when he wanted to.

Tonight, she was going out for dinner with him, Hades, and Persephone. Of course, Hades and Persephone didn't know she was dating Jace. She never mentioned it to them. She was 24 years old- why should they police her?

Her Samsung buzzed. 

Jace😘
Are you ready? I'll pick you up in 10 mins.

She smiled. Hades and Persephone would love Jace! He was everything their city and company needed.

Ya Im ready, Eurydice tapped send.

She sat on the couch, scrolling through videos online. Patrickcity was a popular musical that she would sell her soul to see. She watched short clips of the cast being cute, snickering at Ava Nobelzida and Reese Carnaye.

Leave it to Jay to be late, Eurydice thought in agitation. It had been a little more than 10 minutes. She was too punctual, a habit she picked up from her father.

A short knock, almost anxious, sounded at her apartment door. "Took you long enough, babes," she called, standing up and smoothing her tight dress.

When she opened the white door, a confused man stood there. He had dark hair longer than Jace's, but shorter than Eurydice's. His eyes were the color of hazelnuts. Over his sharp, pale jaw, stubble grew. He wore a white apron and stained jeans. "Uh, hi," he greeted her, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Oh, sorry, I thought you were someone else," sniffed Eurydice, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"Uh, yeah, no, uh I'm Orpheus," the man said holding out his hand.

Eurydice smiled softly at him. "I'm Eurydice," she replied, taking his hand firmly.

Orpheus flinched at her tight grip, but then commented kindly, "Your name is like a melody."

She chuckled. "Are you a singer?"

He nodded eagerly. "I also play the lyre!" His dark eyes were bright and proud.

"Ah, I see. You're one of those types of people."

Orpheus looked confused at her comment and was about to question it when Eurydice pushed him aside.

"Jace!" She exclaimed, thrilled, hugging him. Jace smiled down at her with sharp, white teeth.

"Sorry I'm 15 minutes late," excused Jace, grinning down at her, his skin gleaming from death, "traffic sucks around here." That's ironic, Eurydice smiled at him, he had died via a car accident.

Eurydice rolled her shoulders and stood beside him. She studied Orpheus, thinking, before exclaiming, "Are you the dude who's moving into 551?" He nodded nervously, sizing Jace up. Jace was pretty intimidating. "Ohhhh! Jay, this is Orpheus! He is living right across from me!"

"Nice to meet you, Orpheus," said Jace coldly. Orpheus stuttered a greeting back. "I don't want to keep your parents waiting, Eurydice," he told her, glancing down at his watch.

"Let's go! Let's go right now!" She laughed, dragging him behind.

"Have fun," called Orpheus, getting only a glare from Jace.

________________________________________________________________________________

The family went to Estiatório Tragoudístrias, an uptight restaurant just on the outskirts of Hadestown.

Hades stood up from his seat. "Nice to meet you, Jade," he grumbled. Persephone nudged him in the side gently. "Jace," she hissed in his ear. "That's what I said."

Hades and Jace exchanged an awkward handshake. "So are you Eurydice's friend?" Persephone asked, sipping on a fruity wine.

Eurydice chuckled. Jace glanced sideways at her before replying, "No, ma'am."

"Business partner?" It was Eurydice's turn to answer her adoptive mother.

"No."

"Co-worker?"

"That's the same thing."

"Teacher?"

"I'm employed."

"Mentor?"

"Mom, he's only one year older than me!"

"Thank the Gods- I was about to ask if he was your real father."

Hades stiffened, then cut into the argument. "Who is this Jace?" Eurydice didn't like how cold and drawn out he said the word. It was like a snake hissing.

"Jace and I have been dating for two years," she told her parents. Hades and Persephone exchanged surprised glances.

"See, my little songbird, I was getting ready to think you were lesbian. You know, Patty's girl is. I was just about to invite her over," commented Persephone. Hades chuckled at his wife before turning back to his daughter.

"Surely there is more you wish to announce other than your... relationship." There it was again. That chill that ran down her spine as he growled, "R e l a t i o n sh i p..."

"Yes, sir," Jace blushed. "See, Eurydice-"

"Oh, lovebug, why don't you use a nickname? Eurydice is such a long name. Pretty, but a mouthful," Persephone winked at Eurydice who merely rolled her eyes.

Jace ignored her. "Eurydice and I planned to come to you for permission."

"Oh goodness. Hades, they want to rock the beds!" cried the queen, staring in horror at the two young adults.

Hades' eyes remained unreadable. 

Jace's blue eyes were wide and terrified. "No, ma'am!"

"I mean..." cut in Eurydice. 

"No, ma'am! No, sir! Eurydice and I have kept our relationship pure. We came here to ask for permission to marry."

Hades and Persephone exchanged shocked glances. Persephone waved down the waiter, requesting more wine. As soon as the waiter left the silent table, Hades roared with laughter.

"No."

Let me know what you think so far!