Cringy Fanfics

Jace's jaw dropped. Eurydice stared in a mixture of shock and rage.

"What!" she exclaimed, standing up and glaring at Hades.

"No," Hades said simply. He leaned back in his chair, frowning at his wife who sipped on her wine a bit too eagerly. "Don't drink too much, dear," he murmured in her ear. Persephone only shrugged, finishing the glass and tenderly beginning her meal.

"But, si-" Jace began.

"Don't sir me!" barked Hades. This turned heads. People began to hiss to one another, glancing back at the table. They obviously recognized the king and queen, conductors, founders of Hadestown. Hades noticed the attention and calmed down. "I said no. No means no."

"Not at all; to no extent," Persephone rang out dully. She used to say that at bars where men would try to take advantage of her drinking.

"But, Hades! Jace works in the-" 

"Ah, so he's dead and under me?" sneered Hades. Persephone excused herself, going to the bathroom. "Good. If I hear that you two are still dating, then something might happen to his... paycheck."

"But that's illegal!" exclaimed Jace, staring wide-eyed at the king. 

"Not when you are royal. The law doesn't touch you." Hades smirked.

"Would you like dessert?" the cheerful waiter returned, smiling brightly at the three. Persephone filled in her seat.

"What'd'y'all think?" She said thickly. Eurydice glowered. Jace still was terrified. Hades shrugged.

"Not tonight, brother," smiled Persephone. "Could we have the check?"

_____________________________________________________________________________

The moon hung overhead, casting sheets of pale light on the dark road. Eurydice didn't cry. She wanted to, but nothing came out. Instead, sighs of anger and sadness escaped her.

When she tried getting into Jace's car, Hades barked, "Dicey, you can ride with us."

She smiled sadly at Jace, murmuring a soft farewell before slamming the door shut on Hades' Bugatti La Voiture Noire. "I'm twenty-four. I don't need policing."

"And I'm 57. I have raised you since you were left orphaned. Out of the kindness of my heart, I have given you a roof over your head." Said Hades, driving to the Rattlesnake complex. 

Persephone ignored the bickering, singing along to Britney Spears's "Circus".

"Jace is hardworking, handsome, and smart! What more could you want?" cried Eurydice. She gazed out the tinted window, rubbing her temple.

"An honest daughter."

And that was all that was said.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Goodnight." Eurydice forced out of her system.

"I love you," called Persephone. 

"I love you too, Mom."

"I love you, songbird," said Hades softly. 

"Love you," Eurydice pinched her lips.

She stomped up the steps, shoving her tears back. She slammed her door shut.

Eurydice sat in self-pity in the dark for 45 minutes.

I've been a picture perfect daughter for them. Ever since I arrived on their doorstep with only a simple note from the local forest nymphs, I've obeyed everything. I keep one thing away from them, and it is the end of the world. Wha-