prologue

"Bilbo," Gwendolyn cries as she backs away from the large wolf, her brown eyes wide and tearful as she tries to figure a way out of this situation, "Brother!"

There's a shout before someone lands in front of her, aiming an arrow at the wold, "Go, little hobbit, I'll take care of this."

"Yup," she chokes out before turning and racing through the woods in the direction of the Shire, her light brown curls flowing behind her with her dress.

There's an echoing squeal from behind her, causing her to hesitate before stopping and running back, coming face to face with a blond elf who raises an eyebrow, "I told you to run, little one."

"I thought you got hurt," she replies shyly, looking up at the taller man through her eyelashes as she fiddles with her dress, "I'm Gwendolyn."

Smiling he kneels down and bows his head with his hand over his heart, "Legolas."

"Nice to meet you," she chirps, her dark eyes widening when she realizes he just saved her life, making her launch herself at him, "Thank you, Legolas, you're my hero!"

Laughing he wraps his arms around her small figure, relishing in the affection before the sound of her name being called causes her to freeze. Wiggling out of his grip she copies the bow with her hand over her heart, blushing lightly as she steps back, "That's my Mama, she'll get worried if I don't come."

"Then you best head home, Gwendolyn, s Cuio mae!" he bids, making her grin before giving him one last hug, making the elf laugh again as he embraces her as well.

Pulling away she presses a kiss to his cheek before gathering her dress away from her feet and taking off, pausing at the edge of the forest to look back at him, "Thank you again, Legolas."

"It was my pleasure, Lady Gwendolyn, farewell," he states softly as she rushes out of the foliage and towards the Shire, the elven Prince watching her fondly.

***

"Really?" Bilbo gasps as he looks at his little sister from his bed, his brown eyes wide as he looks at her in awe, "You met a real elf?"

Nodding excitedly she moves to kneel on her bed as she brushes her damp hair, "He was so handsome, brother, and kind!"

"Ooh," the elder Hobbit teases as he pulls on his night robe over his pajamas, "Gwen's got a crush on an elf! How tall was he?"

Giggling she stands up on her bed, her nightgown hidden underneath her own robe and she lifts her hands over her head, "Almost three of me, Bilbo, and he had this long, pale blond hair that fell to his elbows pulled back in elegant braids. I wish I had hair like that."

"What was his name," Bilbo asks as he lays belly-down on his bed and pulling out their shared journal to record the day's events, "Did he say anything in elvish?"

"He said his name was Legolas, and he said S Cuio mae!, which I'm guessing is some sort of farewell wishes," she states as she drops down to sit on her bed, pulling her knees to her chest and resting her head on them, "He smelled like rain and fresh flowers."

Smiling gently at his sister, Bilbo snaps the book shut and sets it on the table between their beds as he sits up, "You know you'll probably never seen him again, don't you Gwen?"

"I know," she breathes as she looks down at her fingers, gently twisting them, "I just want to be able to remember every bit of my first time meeting an elf."

Grabbing her hands he grins at her before turning around and braiding her hair gently, "You will, sister."

***

T.A. 2926

"Gwen," Bilbo calls softly from the other side of the bathroom door, gently rapping his knuckles against the wood, "Please let me in."

There's another sob from inside, making the elder hobbit clench his eyes shut and lean his head against it, "Gwendolyn, please don't shut me out, we need to be there for each other."

"He's gone, Bilbo," she chokes from the other side of the door, making a few tears glide down Bilbo's cheeks as he thinks of his father, "Where's Mama?"

Choking out a laugh he wipes away his tears, "She went for a walk, said she'd be back for dinner, that she just needed time."

"I'm sorry," she sobs gently as she opens the door, Bilbo instantly scooping her up in his arms, the siblings holding each other as they cry, "I'm sorry."

Shaking his head he buries his tear-streaked face into her shoulder and hair as he pulls them closer together. After a while they pull away, both of them feeling marginally better, a weak smile growing on Gwendolyn's face as she takes his hand, "Let's make some tea."

"Good idea," he breathes as he lets her guide him into the living room, watching her as she bustles around the kitchen, "I love you, Gwen."

Smiling she sets down a cup in front of him, along with cream and sugar, "I love you too."

***

T.A. 2934

The siblings sit in grief thick silence in their Parlor, their hands gripping onto each other as they mourn the loss of their mother. Gwendolyn's hair now falling to her shoulders is still damp from the rain, making it a darker shade of brown.

Shakily wiping the tears from her face she gently pries her hand from her brothers before getting up from her father's chair. Shuffling over she lets Bilbo wraps his arms around her waist, burying his face into her stomach as he cries.

Gripping onto the shoulders of his overcoat she closes her eyes, a few stray tears trailing down her cheeks as she takes deep breaths. Gulping down the sobs she gently unwinds his arms from around her and cups his cheeks, pressing a kiss to his brow.

"I'm going to make some tea," she states, her voice hoarse from crying as she shuffles into the kitchen, stopping in the threshold as she looks over at her brother, "I love you, Bilbo."

Smiling weakly he wipes away the fresh tears, nodding, "I love you too."

***

T.A. 2940

"I'm going, Bilbo," Gwendolyn snaps as she throws clothes into her pack, not looking up from it as her brother paces, "I've got to get out of here."

Laughing bitterly he stops in front of her, shaking his head as he grips the roots of his hair, "You can't just leave, our parent's left us Bag End, Gwen, we've got responsibilities now."

"It's suffocating," she cries as she throws her hands around, gesturing to the room, "Living here with so many expectations, I just want to be a child again, hiking through the woods, chasing after elves, Bilbo!"

Scoffing, the elder Hobbit stares at her before stepping forward and grabbing her hands, "You can't wish for the impossible, Gwen, because it'll never happen."

"The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances," she quotes from her favorite book, looking into her brother's eyes as she lifts a hand to cup his cheek, "I cannot stay here, in this-this cage, brother, it's slowly killing me."

Shaking his head he places his hand over hers, "Wait, that's all I ask, wait until there's a chance of us going on an adventure together, and I promise you we'll take it."

"How long, Bilbo? There has to be an end to this," she breathes out as she looks between his eyes, her own welling up with tears as she studies him.

Clenching his jaw he pulls her into a hug, "Soon, Gwen, soon."