two

"Nothing is more imminent than the impossible . . . what we must always foresee is the unforeseen."
Victor Hugo

***

"Gandalf. I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. Wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door," the dwarf states as he steps inside, his eyes still on Gwen as he shrugs off his coat and gives it to Kili.

Stepping back next to her brother she rolls her eyes when he speaks, "Mark? There's no mark on that door. It was painted a week ago!"

"There is a mark; I put it there myself. Gwendolyn and Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield," Gandalf states nervously as he looks between Thorin and the two hobbits sharing a glance.

"So, this is the Hobbit," Thorin's eyes look Bilbo up and down in slight disappointment before they move to Gwen. This examination taking slightly longer, making her raise a challenging eyebrow at him, making the corner of his lips lift slightly, "Tell me, Mr., Mrs. Baggins-,"

Gwen cuts him off by bursting out into laughter at the assumption, making everyone look at her in confusion as she tries to calm herself. After a few beats, she's able to calm herself, "We're not married, Master Oakenshield, we are siblings."

"My apologies. Have either you done much fighting?" he finishes his statement, avoiding Gwen's amused gaze out of embarrassment.

"Pardon me?" Bilbo splutters from next to his sister, his eyes wide in surprise at that question, glancing at his sister.

Raising an eyebrow, Thorin steps around them, "Axe or sword? What's your weapon of choice?"

"Well, I have some skill at Conkers, if you must know, but I fail to see why that's relevant," her brother replies, making her giggle lightly, drawing the dwarf's attention back to her, raising an eyebrow.

Smiling she crosses her arms over her chest, "Bow."

"At least one of you isn't totally inept," the leader murmurs before the dwarves usher him into the dining room to feed him. Kili and Fili stopping on either side of Gwen.

Looking down at her they smile, Fili wrapping an arm around her shoulders, "He likes you."

"More than it may seem," Kili teases as they lead her into the dining room, sharing a cheeky smile over her head as they sit her between them.

***

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin inquires as Thorin eats the soup, his eyes unconsciously looking over to Gwen as she happily sips a cup of tea, snapping his gaze away when he catches himself.

He nods firmly, looking towards the white-haired dwarf, "Aye. Envoys from all seven kingdoms."

Everyone murmurs in joy, Gwen looking around curiously before her gaze lands on her brother, who's watching from the entryway.

Dwalin leans forwards, "What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?"

"They will not come," he states sadly, his gaze subconsciously going to Gwen again, seeing her gently rubbing Kili's shoulder, "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone."

"You're going on a quest?" Bilbo pipes up from his position in the doorframe, making everyone look at him in surprise, Gwen rolling her eyes fondly at her brother.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light," Gandalf states, making Gwen smirk lightly as her brother rushes off to grab another candle, setting it on the table as Gandalf unrolls a map.