Part 17

"Please, please let us in!" I yelled, banging on the Tavern door. Greg was still on my back, his eyes drooping. We were all in a shocked silence, terrified of the Beast. Of Sara. "Please!" I shouted again, adjusting my little brother.

The door swung open, the purple haired tavern-keeper greeting us. She recognized Greg and I, opening the door wider so we could all come in.

"What can I do for you?" She squeaked, shutting the wooden door behind us. Her rosy cheeks stood out from her face, making her seem friendlier than the others in the restaurant.

"We need help, now." Beatrice said, pacing around the room. All the customers watched us in our weird glory as we flipped out for some unknown reason.

"With what?" The tailor miserably asked, slouching in a chair.

I took a deep breath, telling them the whole story. I even told everyone why we were here and why we were dressed so differently. Then, I moved on to our main problem.

"Look, I know it's hard to believe, but the Beast is back, and it's looking for more lost souls." Every single person in the tavern gasped, even the Highway Man. "We don't know exactly who has the lantern, but we know how to destroy the creature if we can find it." Beatrice nodded, standing next to me.

"All we need for now is a place to stay for the night." The bird girl said, sitting at an empty table.

"Well, make yourself at home dears." The tavern keeper anxiously said, heading towards the kitchen. "I'll put on some tea."

The six of us (and Jason the frog) claimed a circular table in one of the corners of the restaurant, trying our best to calm down. Greg was somehow asleep in one of the wooden chairs, but other than that we were pretty much permanently awake. After witnessing our friend as a monster, we didn't even consider sleep.

"So, what's gonna happen to Sara now?" Ren said, trembling.

"I don't know," I said, putting my forehead on my palms, "but I think she might be gone."

Funderberker just stared at the table, unable to speak. Out of all of us, he was the one that was probably hurting the most.

"What do you mean, 'for good'?" Calvin repeated, trying to make sense of my simple words.

"I mean, Calvin," I said, lifting my head, "I mean she's dead."

Everyone at our table froze, except for Ren, who broke down in tears. Calvin was on the verge along with Jason, but they just kept staring at the wooden table. Beatrice and I kept ourselves strong for the sake of the other four, not wanting to make the situation worse.

"Guys, I know this is hard, but we have to accept it and move on." Beatrice said, patting Ren's back as she sobbed. Part of me wanted to yell at Beatrice for just waving a death off, but I knew she was right. There wasn't anything we could do.

"What if we blew out that lantern and-"

"No Jason. It doesn't work like that." I sternly said, leaning back in my chair. "Even if we do blow the lantern out, Sara can't be saved. The only thing that'll happen is the death of the entire creature, including Sara's consciousness."

Ren sniffled, wiping her puffy red eyes. Beatrice stopped comforting her, turning to look at me. "We have to take them home." she whispered, holding her hand up to my ear.

"Yeah, I know." I replied, trying to think of a way out of this. "If we can last just a few more hours, the beast should retreat, then we can take them home."

"Works for me." she said, trying her best to relax. I'd somehow succeeded for once in my life and was actually pretty calm, still leaning back in my chair.

"Here's the tea dearies." the tavern keeper said, putting a tray of steaming mugs on our table. "Please, please try to drink some. It'll help your nerves." She waddled off, fixing her bonnet as she entered the kitchen again.

I sat up and grabbed a mug, the scent of citrus filling my nose. Beatrice and Ren took some as well, sipping on it a little at a time. Jason and Calvin still sat, tears running down their face. Maybe they'd be okay after we'd settled in and gotten more comfy around everyone. I could at least hope.

"Oh wow! This is good!" Ren suddenly said, taking another gulp of tea. I was relieved at how much better she looked after getting something in her system. "You guys have to try this!"

She looked at the two depressed boys, pointing at their mugs. Calvin reached for his, sitting up straighter as he took a sip, his eyes lighting up as well.

"Mmmm, that's a good cup of tea." he quietly mumbled, drinking more.

I took a swig of mine, the warmth of the liquid reaching my heart. It tasted like Christmas and family and coziness all at once, making me feel like I was surrounded by both my real parents again. It was like magic.

Jason finally took his, drinking a little at a time, enjoying it almost as much as us. We all sat around the table, drinking, until Ren suddenly passed out, her head dropping onto the wooden surface.

"Ren?!" Beatrice cried, shaking the girl. "Wait... I feel... slee..." she stopped trying to wake Ren, slouching in her chair.

"Wirt, what's happening?" Calvin said, staring at the two girls. Right after that, he was down. His breathing was steady as he slept, his stomach rising and falling underneath the table. I knew it was my turn now.

"Jason..." I murmured, seeing him fast asleep across from me. I guess I was the last one. Suddenly the tavern keeper appeared in front of me, smiling and wishing me sweet dreams.

After that it was all a blur of movement and voices mixed together in a never ending sleep.