4

November 1, 1981
Little Whinging, Surry
Number 4 Privet Drive

As the sun rose in the morning sky, casting a golden light on the suburb community in Little Whinging, Surry below, and the birds started to sing their unique and unchangeable songs, one Petunia Durlsey woke up after a night of tossing and turning for the foreboding feeling never left. One look at the clock on the nightstand told her that it was only 6:30 a.m. which meant her husband and little Dudley would be getting up in half an hour and that it was time to start her day.

Walking downstairs, Petunia thought about just why she had had a troubled sleep as it was quite silly really, but she couldn't stop thinking about what happened yesterday: one, the strange news report on the telly, and two, Vernon wondering about her freak of a sister, Lily. Could they be connected? She had heard and saw first hand that freaks like her sister communicated through owls, but that didn't explain the strange owl sightings during the day. No, what bothered Petunia the most was when Vernon had mentioned Lily. He knew that her name was not to be mentioned in her perfect, normal home. He knew that it was a sore subject for her and even mentioned the freaks son, Harry! Such a nasty common name for no doubt a freak like its parents!

Well, it's a new day and Petunia wasn't going to let the events of yesterday affect her day! In a week's, her precious little Ickle Diddykins would be going to have his first playdate with some of Petunia's friends and their sons and in the meantime, she had a long list of things to do. By the time she had got downstairs, the thoughts of the freak and her son were gone and now replaced by a long list of errands she had to complete that day.

When Petunia opened the front door to get the milk bottles, she found a surprise waiting for her: there on her front doorstep was a baby in a basket! She let out a soft scream as she saw a letter curled in the baby's hand addressed to her in familiar handwriting...writing that she hadn't seen in eleven years: the handwriting of Albus Dumbledore.

After a moment of panic, Petunia immediately brought the baby inside, not wanting the neighbors to see, and laid him on the couch. Now as earlier panic forgotten, she sat staring down at the letter clutched in her hand which read:

Dear Petunia Dursley,

I am sorry to be the one writing to you about the unfortunate deaths of your sister and brother-in-law, Lily and James Potter. Their son, Harry, lives and lies in tbe basket accompanying this letter. James and Lily were brave and courageous people fighting against an evil wizard by the name, Lord Voldemort, who has been plaguing the Wizarding World for eleven years. Many people have fought against Voldemort, but none as hard as Lily and James Potter. Many people, including myself, are mourning their death and we are all deeply saddened to see such talented and bright souls gone.

On the night of their deaths, James tried to fight Lord Voldemort to give Lily and Harry time to run, but alas Voldemort was more powerful and James was killed. When Voldemort found Lily and on that night she sacrificed herself for Harry so that he may live. Therefore, she installed ancient magic in Harry that keeps him protected and those associated safe wherever Lily's blood still lives. When Voldemort tried to kill Harry, he somehow failed and disappeared. I believe that Voldemort is still alive, weak and powerless, but alive. He has many followers who might want to finish what their master started and kill Harry. Harry is in grave danger of being killed by one of those followers.

There is only one place in this world where Harry is completely safe and that is your home, where Lily's blood still lives. I ask that you take Harry in and treat him as you will. However, I ask that you do not break the boy for he is too valuable to the Wizarding World. The fate of Harry Potter's life rests in your hands. I also ask that you think it over and in a week's time, should you decide not to take him in, send a letter addressed plainly to Albus Dumbledore through regular post. Once I received the letter, I will come and find another solution to Harry's protection. However, if this should happen, Petunia Dursley, know that I will be deeply disappointed in you.