The New Princess

"My lady!" Gwen called harshly as she entered. Constance woke with a start and turned to look at her servant. "It's happening!". Constance's eyes widened. 

"She has gone into labour? Quick! Get my shawl!" Constance threw her covers off and slipped on her leather shoes. Gwen helped Constance tie her fur shawl around her shoulders. Constance hurried down the hall until she got to the Queen's chambers. Inside, she could hear the screams of a woman giving birth. Constance entered to find Anne bent over a chair. She swept over to Anne and gripped her around the shoulder. Anne looked up at her through tears. "Come, my Queen, you must walk. I know it is painful." Anne let out a scream and tried to assume the fetal position. Constance uncurled her and forced her to stand. Anne wrapped an arm around Constance's shoulder and the two women began walking. The midwife arrived then.

"Is this what it was like when you had Alice?" Anne panted through gritted teeth. Constance smirked tiredly,

"Much worse Your HIghness. Alice was born facing the wrong way and she became stuck on her way out. Neither of us should have survived." Anne shut her eyes. The women walked together for hours and hours, Anne's pains slowly increasing. They walked until the midwife told them it was time for Anne to lie down. Constance bathed Anne's forehead with cold water. Anne gripped her hand tightly. Constance whispered encouragement to Anne. Between contractions, they prayed together. Eventually, Anne shuddered and gasped. Constance smiled. The midwife took a red, screaming ball of meat and wrapped it in swaddling clothes. The midwife turned to Anne. Constance still bathing her forehead and grinning.

"A beautiful baby girl Your Majesty!" The midwife grinned. Anne sighed. Constance took the baby and placed her in her mother's arms. As soon as she saw her child, Anne smiled weakly. 

"What will you name her, Majesty?" Constance said as she smiled down on the new mother.

"Elizabeth. Princess Elizabeth Constance Tudor. She is beautiful isn't she?" Anne smiled.

"I must say, Your Highness, she is beautiful. Although, I am biased." Constance laughed, "You are exhausted. Childbirth is no easy thing. You should rest Highness." Anne nodded and reluctantly handed the new princess back to the midwife. Constance nodded at the midwife and exited the chamber. Someone must tell the king that he did not have a son. Constance mustered all her courage as she went to the door of Anne's chambers. The King was there. He looked at her hopefully as she opened the door. She let him in. "Your Majesty? I am delighted to tell you that your wife, Her Majesty the Queen, is recovering well and has survived the initial hardships of childbirth."

"Good good. And the child?"

"A beautiful and healthy little Princess," Constance said stiffly. The King huffed and left. Constance sighed and looked at the ground. The poor child.