41. The Match

Chapter Forty-One

"Big day today sweetheart." My mum reminded me as I finished my breakfast. 

"Yup." I nodded.

My mum sighed looking at my attire. "And yet you still don't dress up."

I looked down at my high waisted jean mid washed shorts which were practically covered by my oversized checked flanel shirt  and a pair of air max. "Mum, its a volleyball match. I'm not going to dinner at the Ritz." I told her. "To be honest,  I think I'm dressed quite appropriately for a match day."

My mum rolled her eyes, grabbing her bag. "Whatever you say. Good luck sweetheart.  I'll see you later." And after a kiss on the forehead,  she left.

~***~

"Miss Jones!" I snapped back from a day dream that I wasnt even paying attention to, and looked at my teacher. "Would you be willing to gracefully invest some of your attention in my lesson please?"

"I'll invest all my attention,  considering I love history so much." I muttered,  straightening up, remembering Kyle wasn't next to me, which was disappointing considering I hoped for his support at the match.

"Drop the sarcasm Jones." Mr Collins ordered.

"Oh but I do." I insisted,  even though it was bullshit. "I really do love History."

My teacher opened his mouth to retort, but another voice cut in. "What a coincidence, so do I." My body froze at the sound of the too familiar voice. I could hear a few gasps around the class, and even my teacher didn't know what to say. "Good morning Sir." Luke grinned, as if he didn't have a care in the world. He looked around the class, his eyes settling on me, as he cocked an eyebrow and smirked. My heart stopped, as goosebumps formed all over my body. What was he doing here? He was expelled! Sent off somewhere. Somewhere far away where I didn't have to look at him without the memories of that day flooding back.

My teacher cleared his throat. "Good morning Luke."

"Where can I sit?" Luke asked. I watched him carefully. He never used to be so confident. So arrogant. I remembered back to the day he walked in to this very classroom, with that killer smile and brown curls and at that moment,  he was the one I fell for while Kyle was the one I hated. Funny how tables turn. 

"Why don't you sit next to Oscar? Oscar could you lend Luke your book over the day so he can catch up on what he's missed?" Mr Collins asked, trying to sound as calm as possible.

"Yes sir." Oscar answered immediately although he looked less than happy. Luke smirked one more time in my direction before strolling down the rows and taking his seat. 

"Anyway, where was I?" My teacher asked before carrying on with the lesson, even though things were suddenly very tense.