Running Out of Time

Heyo!! Tomorrow is my little sister's birthday! Enjoy the chapter!

Shayna's POV

We all crowd around the table. Jay is eating a bag of chips, Nya is finishing up some soup, and Celeste is eating an apple. I sit at a chair in the corner slouching back in it. Nya takes a sip from her spoon before throwing out another idea.

"Okay, here's a crazy one. What if you wish to resurrect the Devourer? Then we sick it on Nadakhan!" Nya explains to us.

"Ah, um, can't do that either," Jay comments as he finishes up the last of his chips;" Can't wish to do harm. Can't wish for more wishes. And you can't wish for, heh heh, love."

"And even if we could, how would we 'sick it' on him?" I ask her. She shrugs her shoulders, of course she doesn't know.

"Those wishes is how I got us into this mess. All due to just one glimpse into the future showing us together," Jay adds. He looks upset," our friends, gone. Our world torn apart, look at us, this is all my fault!"

"Jay." Nya looks back behind her. Celeste and I follow her gaze to the staircase, where little robot buddy is at.

"I guess we really do end up together, Nya, just heh not how I'd envisioned it," Jay continues on.

"Stop," Nya says.

"I know. I know. You don't wanna hear it-"

"I mean, stop talking!" Nya shushes Jay," Did you hear that?" She looks back at the stairs.

"Yeah, sounds like we aren't alone," I whisper. We all  get up to look down the stairs as a dark figures runs off.

"We aren't the only ones here!" Celeste exclaims.

"Uh! You mean, I've been exposing my innermost feelings in front of a complete stranger?! Uhh! I feel so violated!" Jay yells in embarrassed anger.

"There won't be a stranger after we get to know them! Hurry!" Nya says before jumping down to some stairs. We all rush down the stairs as quick as we can to the bottom. We reach the bottom, but no sign of any stranger nor any sign of a break in/out from the door.

"Huh! The door is barricaded! No one could have escaped. We've been locked up so long, I think you're starting to see things," Jay tells Nya. We all look around the room in confusion. There's sudden thumping as we turn around to see the little robot buddy coming down and picking up gears, which leads to a lever on the wall. Nya walks over and flips the lever.

"Like how I'm seeing there's a hidden basement in the lighthouse?" Nya asks Jay as the entrance opens and we go inside. The tunnel leads to a room, full of mostly empty space but there's miscellaneous gears and tools scattered around with some blueprints around as well.

"Looks like a bunch of stuff from Zane's father's old lab," Nya comments. Then a box falls over suddenly, making loud clanking noises as the metal makes contact to the ground. Jay jumps behind the rest of us.

"You're right! We're not alone!" He says scared. We all begin to slowly walk back.

"I thought you were supposed to protect me," Nya tells Jay.

"I thought you were over that!" Jay responds.

"Don't worry, I'll protect both of you," I say, walking in front of both of them. They all glance over my shoulders as little robot buddy goes over to whoever it is and grabs their hand," whoever you are, come out!" The thing pops it's head out from behind the shelves. Finally.

"I am Zane. Built to protect those who cannot protect themselves," 'Zane' tells us as he fully reveals himself.

"Zane?" We look back at each other in silence.

"When Zane's father was trapped here, he must have built a replacement Zane," Jay says as an attempt to explain this other Zane.

"Great, another knight in rusted armor," Nya says passive-aggressively.

"Rusted, maybe," Jay agrees.

"But he can he still protect?" I add, referencing the line Zane said earlier. This new Zane starts to show us his fighting moves before seemingly slipping and falling to the floor.

"Built to protect what? Itself?" Nya asks as we walk closer to it.

"Who knows? But if the four of us can't figure out my wish, maybe a new perspective might help," Jay mentions as Zane makes a weird expression, but Nya seems hopeful.

"What do you guys think it can do?" Celeste asks walking beside us.

"I can do many things," Zane responds. He looks us in the eyes, making me kind of uncomfortable.

"Hmm... can you walk on walls?" Jay questions him.

"Jay that's such a dumb question, have you ever seen Zane-" Nya pauses when this Zane plants his feet into the wall, and starts to walk and stand on the ceiling. We all gasp in amazement.

"Heh, I guess he can do that," I comment. Nya jokingly rolls her eyes at me.

"Hey Zane, do a flip," Celeste exclaims. He nods and flips and manages to land his feet on the floor, but his arm falls off. We gasp but he quickly picks it up and sets it back in place.

"Hmm...  run around in circles, but on the wall," Jay requests. Zane nods, again planting his feet into the wall, before proceeding to run around. We all start laughing at how ridiculous this is.

"Now run on the ceiling!" Celeste says. Zane proceeds, running around on the ceiling. We all laugh harder until Zane pauses before falling and landing on us. His eyes seem locked on to something behind us... It's Nadakhan! He's in the mirror.

"Zane! Break it before he can figure out where we are!" I yell. He jumps off of us and throws rusted shurikens at the mirror. It shatters into thousands of tiny pieces, now scattered across the floor.

"Is he going to able to find us?" I ask in scared-concern.

"Let's hope not," Jay says, wiping off his pants as we stand off the floor.

"Let's get ready, in case he comes to get us."