Chapter 3 (Soren's POV)

I got to tell the whole story from the beginning, but since you already know it, I'm gonna skip that part. Buuut, the good news is, I think everyone was pretty good at accepting what had happened and processing it calmly. There were only a few people who passed out at hearing all the crazy news. And like, they were all girls so it's totally possible that they were just overwhelmed by my good looks.

The rest of them needed a minute to deal with it, and then they seemed pretty okay. The physician lady seemed to be the best at accepting the news and moving on. Maybe because her job was to deal with sad or crazy things and take care of them. She managed the crowd control and had all the passed out people taken to her infirmary. Then she came to me. "There's something else you might be happy to hear. News got back to the castle about the dragon attack, and Lady Opeli sent a few crown guards to come help us and direct the rebuilding efforts, as well as protect us if the dragon came back. They got there right after we were abandoning the wrecked village, and they've been with us ever since."

I raised an eyebrow, pleased. "Really? Who are they?"

"Uhh... I'm not sure of their names. There are four of them."

"Cool. I'll find them. It will be nice to have an actual regiment to work with instead of juuust me and Marcos. I mean, the guy's cool and all but he's just so quiet. Half the time I don't even remember he's with us!"

She nodded briskly and said, "I'm going to try and organize people and keep chaos from ensuing with all the people who are still reacting to the news."

"Okay. And actually," I stood up to address the still mingling crowd. "I have one more thing to say! I think I know a place where you guys can stay for now."

A hush fell; everyone looked at me expectantly.

"There's a Moonshadow elf village just a little ways away. The dragon Queen has sent messengers to them telling them about what's happened -- and they might be able to give you refuge for the next little bit. It'll be tense at first, but it might be a good thing to get used to interaction with elves."

Aaaand there came the chaos.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything yet.

I sat glumly on the ground, eating the berries they'd brought me and watching the people freak out. Well, nothing I could do now but sit here and wait. At least the berries were good.

A little kid maybe five or six came up to me in the midst of the commotion, his eyes wide. "Did you really slay a dragon?"

I blinked. "Uhh...no. Not really." Then I popped another red berry into my mouth.

He sat down and began rocking back and forth. "But everyone says you saved us from a dragon."

"Well, kind of," I replied, and was about to explain, but he cut me off before I could.

"Wow! You're so cool!"

"Well, it wasn't really..."

"I wanna be just like you when I grow up," he said excitedly.

"Thaaat's probably not a great idea," I said, but he wasn't listening.

"Can I touch your sword?" he asked, staring at me reverently.

I sighed and gave up. "Sure, kid. Just be careful." I drew my sword and held it out lengthwise for him to see.

He reached out his finger, and it hovered just above the surface of the blade, like he was too awestruck to actually touch it. Finally, he closed in the last distance and petted the flat of the blade like it was a dog.