13

"... he's a monster." Ruby cried. Tears ran down her face like streams of water.

" Sorry who?" Anne questioned pulling Ruby inside the warm house. " I'll fix you up. Also I have to inform you Gilbert's here."

" Oh you guys are dating?" Ruby said wiggly her eyebrows. Anne laughed.

" No, he staying the night because of family issues." Anne quickly replied.

" I'm so sorry for everything. I should have excepted that he didn't want me. I put that in front of our friendship. And you were right about Grayson." Ruby said wiping her tears. Anne smiled, nodded and hugged her renewed best friend.

They walked into the living room to find Gilbert still reading the book. He looked up and surprise flashed through his face.

" Hey, Gilbert." Ruby said quietly. She sat down in an arm chair.

" Are you alright?" Gilbert said concerned. Anne grabbed a wet wash cloth for Ruby to wash her face off.

" He, my boyfriend Grayson, wanted me to do... things... that I didn't want to do. He would hit me and grab me. I said I wanted to go home once and took off his belt and wouldn't stop hitting me." Ruby cried and put her head in her hands. Anne remembered the days when she too was beat with a belt. She put her arm around Ruby and gave her a squeeze. " His maid finally found me with cuts and bruises. She couldn't fix me up because she needed her job but, she let me out through the window. I'm so sorry Anne I didn't know where else to go."

" It's ok now, Ruby. You're safe. Do you want to call your mom?" Anne said give Ruby her phone. She nodded and dialed her moms number. Ruby walked out of the room to take her call.

" Damn." Gilbert said rubbing his hands. Anne nodded and shook her head.

" I knew him from the orphanage. He was cruel to girls, any girl he could get his hands on he'd abuse them. I was smart enough to stay away from him." Anne said her breath shaky. Gilbert nodded and put his hand on hers. He looked into her grey, blue eyes.

" Hey, Anne is it alright if I stay the night? The road is block so my parents can't reach me." Ruby said bursting in the room. Gilbert quickly pulled his hand away from Anne's.

" Yeah, that's fine. Is it alright if you sleep with me?" Anne questioned. Ruby nodded.

" You can contact the police department. Take him to court." Gilbert offered to Ruby.

" No, no. I don't want him angrier then he is now." Ruby quickly responded. " Anne are you ready?"

Anne nodded. She looked at Gilbert then to Ruby.

" If you need anything you know where it is. Good night." Anne said. She took a long look at him and stood up. " Don't lose my page."

Gilbert laughed and nodded.

Ruby and Anne walked up the stairs for bed.

As they climbed in Anne's bed, Ruby was out like a light. Anne couldn't help but think about the boy downstairs.