Chapter 3

LIVIA

         Livia couldn't remember the first time she actually saw Jason as someone more than a nuisance. Maybe it was the time he taught her how to properly hold a gladius. Or the time he let her win the battle to make her feel good because she was having a terrible day. Or maybe it was just the fact that he was always there for her when nobody else was. It had been eight long months, and they still hadn't found Jason.

        "Hello?" a tentative voice greeted. Livia look up from her hands to see a girl from the fifth cohort she never bothered to talk to.

        Hazel, her mind somehow recalled. She was the girl who was always hanging around that "Frank" kid who was too big for his own body.

        "I'm Hazel," she brought out her hand for Livia to shake. "Daughter of Pluto."

        Livia looked at Hazel's hand, then dropped her head into her hands miserably. "Livia," she muttered. "Daughter of Mars. Go away."

        Livia would've been great at making friends except for one fact: at the end of introducing herself to somebody, she always says, "Go away."

        Hazel faltered. "Um. . . I saw you here, and I thought. . . you might've wanted someone to talk to."

        "What made you think that?" Livia snarled. "I'm fine." She didn't know if she was saying that to Hazel or herself.

        Hazel sat down beside her, making Livia look over with a motionless expression. "Look, you might not think you need anyone to talk to, but it's always better to talk to someone."

        "Fine," Livia huffed. "The one person I can actually tolerate in this camp is gone. He just disappeared, left, vanished, and I can't help but think he left me, okay? So, yeah, my life is going pretty great now. Thanks for poking your nose into my business."

        Livia was absolutely sure Hazel was going run away crying, but instead she just said, "I understand."

        And they both sat in silence together.

        Hazel and Livia had come to a mutual unspoken understanding. Hazel would talk to Livia as if they were the best of friends, and Livia would ignore her.

        In all honesty, Livia would say she didn't completely hate Hazel. She was tolerable. Until she tried to introduce her to Frank.

        "No," Livia denied. "I've already crossed the limit for the amount of people I don't completely hate."

        "One more won't hurt."

        "It'll hurt him. I'll tell him to go away."

        "He won't be hurt."

        "You sure? 'Cause -"

        "Yeah," Hazel cut her off. "And did you say you didn't 'completely hate' me?"

        Livia paused, regretting every second of her words. "Don't let it get to your head."

        It was during Lunch when Hazel dragged Livia over to Frank's side of the table. After plopping herself down, Hazel  introduced Livia to Frank.

        "Frank, this is-"

         "Livia," she interjected. "Daughter of Mars. Go away."

        "Um. . ." Frank said, unsure. "I'm Frank. I don't know who my parent is yet. They. . .uh. . . yeah."

        "Great!" Hazel clapped her hands while Livia grumbled.

        "Wait," Frank said, peering closely at her. "Weren't you the girl Jason always hung around with? I remember him telling me that you were really nice, if he looked very deep down."

        "That's sweet of him," Livia commented dryly. She couldn't pretend like it wasn't the best compliment she'd ever been given in a long time.

        "Gotta go," Hazel said. "We're on border patrol near the Tiber River. See you later."