Chapter 5

LIVIA

         Livia was walking down the streets of Camp Jupiter, her hands in her pockets. Her face wore a troubled expression, but to others it looked like she was going to hurt them. Livia hated that other people were afraid of her. They never saw her for who she truly was.

Cowards, she thought spitefully, they're all just a bunch of cowards.

Her mind drifted back to Jason. Even after all of her death threats, he had still stuck beside her and made an effort to know the real her. Her heart clenched painfully, and she wanted to smack herself for thinking about him.

"Livia!" Hazel's voice called as she waved her over. Hazel was walking towards her with Frank and another boy. The boy was tall and muscular, with black hair and sea-green eyes. Everything about him reminded her of Jason.

She hated that.

"Walk with us," Hazel offered. "This is Percy, son of Neptune."

Livia's eyes bore into Percy's. "The water dude?" she clarified.

"Er. . .yes," Hazel said awkwardly. Livia joined them as they walked. Every part of her wanted to pretend Percy was Jason, and pummel him to the ground for leaving her. But as Percy's eyes flickered over her nervously, she just couldn't bring herself to do it. Percy, Hazel, and Frank talked about the "ghosts" (that's what Percy liked to call them).

The conversation turned to whispers, but Livia could still hear them.

"Did I do something wrong?" Percy whispered, his eyes flickering over to Livia. "I think she hates me."

"Oh," Frank said. "She just looks like that. And you probably remind her of Jason -" he stopped.

"Who's Jason?" Percy asked. "Her boyfriend?"

"No," Frank coughed. "I mean - I don't - they - I -"

"What Frank means to say," Hazel interrupted before Frank could embarrass himself anymore, "Is that they were very close. But Jason disappeared. No one knows where he is. And Livia thinks," she lowered her voice even more. "That he left because he couldn't stand her anymore."

"I have ears, y'know?" Livia droned, making the trio flinch. "I don't hate you, Seaweed Boy, my face just naturally looks like this. Is there a problem?"

"Uh. . .no," Percy said after blinking a couple of times. "No problem at all."

We stopped walking once we had reached the Principa, the headquarters of Camp Jupiter.

"Everyone back to your duties. I'll give you an update at evening muster. Remember, we have war games after dinner," Reyna announced. Livia could hear Percy's stomach rumbling, and he offered her a shameless smile.

"He's dead," one person said as they left.

"Would be those three who found him."

"Yeah," one joked. "Let him join the Fifth Cohort. Greeks and geeks." Livia's hands curled into a fist, but before she could punch them, Percy grabbed her arm.

"It's not worth it," he said. "I don't want you to get in trouble because of me."

"Who said I was doing it for you?" she sneered. "They insulted the fifth cohort, but -" she sighed. "Never mind. You wouldn't get it."

"Hazel," Reyna said. "Come with us. I want your report on what happened at the gates."

"Me too?" Frank said wistfully. "Percy saved my life. We've got to let him -" Reyna gave him a harsh look, one that she probably got from me.

"I'd remind you Frank Zhang," she said. "you are on probation yourself. You've caused enough trouble this week. Go to the armory. Check our inventory. I'll call you if I need you."

"But -" Frank caught himself before he could get into even more trouble. "Yes, Reyna."

"And you, Livia," she turned to her. "I don't even know why you're here."

"Just checking out how shiny the floors look," she scowled as she walked away.

Frank was waiting for her outside. "I hate being on probatio," he said. "I can't do anything. How come you never get probatio, with all the kids you beat up?"

Livia grinned. "I make sure they never tell."

He shuddered. "Sounds. . .nice. How's it going with your. . .you know what."

"Okay, I guess," Livia said. Livia has a secret she's never told anyone, not even Jason. Frank managed to find out about it on accident. She didn't know how she could do it, but if she wanted to, she could make a person extremely mad. Even if they were calm, just a few words would rile them up.

"I don't know how I should tell Jason," she admitted. "I was scared he was going to leave me. Guess he already found out."

Frank hesitated. "Livia, I. . .have a theory. It may not be true, but it's still a possibility."

Livia motioned for him to talk. "You know how Percy lost his memories and ended up here? Well, maybe Jason lost his memories and ended up somewhere else."

Livia was shocked. Her best friend could have possibly lost all memory of her.

"Also," Frank continued uneasily. "I see the way you look at him."

"What?" Livia snorted. "Like I wanted to beat him up?"

"No," Frank said. "Like you love him."

"Impossible," Livia said. "Even if I did. . .he deserves better than me. Maybe some Venus girl, I don't know. Just not me."

Frank bit his lip. "Whatever you say."