Chapter 1: Welcome to Concordia-Part 2

After stepping foot in Concordia, Marie came across a dead body with her new friend and partner Madeleine O'Malley and she was reviewing the case with Maddie. Their victim was in charge of the New Haven Center, where all the immigrants go to be vetted before they're allowed to step foot in Concordia. They even managed to establish the victim's day to day routine, but the two women needed more information if they want to find out who could've harmed him.

It was then that Evie came by and told the two women that she found a clue that can help them in the case. She then proceeded to tell them, "A report was filed yesterday morning and it's about your victim!"

Maddie and Marie were happy to hear that and Maddie said, "Then give us the name of the officer who filed the report! We will go and have a talk with him!"

At the headquarters of the Concordian Police Department, Maddie and Marie were standing before the officer that filed the report and Maddie asked, "Officers Raines, you filed a report concerning Lieutenant General Vogel yesterday morning?"

Officer Raines nodded and said, "Indeed I did! I was patrolling near Main Street when I heard shouting. I turned the corner to see who was there, but it was just Mr. Vogel. Whoever he was arguing with had scampered off! Mr. Vogel declined to lodge a complaint, but I filed a report just in case."

Marie and Maddie thanked Officer Raines for his help and the two women headed towards Main Street to look around it since their victim had an altercation there. As soon as they arrived at Main Street, the two women started to search around when Marie found some silver pieces that could've been broken during the victim's altercation. She also found a leather bag that was locked and she knew she had to unlock it to see what was inside. The first clue Marie looked at were the broken silver pieces and she put them back together until they were whole again and formed a pendant.

Looking closer at the pendant, Marie and Maddie saw that it looked like it was from a religious nature. Turning it over, the two women saw that there was an engraving on the back. What they saw on the back was Father Donovan's name and Marie asked, "How did it end up here and broken?"

Maddie shrugged and said, "Not sure, but we'd better ask Father Donovan if he was the one who argued with the victim."

As soon as they got back to the docks and approached Father Donovan, Marie showed him the pendant and Maddie said to him, "Father Donovan, we believe this pendant belongs to you. How did it end up broken?"

When Father Donovan saw his pendant, he thanked Marie for repairing it. He then said, "I got into something of a collie shangle yesterday morning and a scoundrel broke it."

"That so-called scoundrel wouldn't happen to have been Frank Vogel, would it?" Marie asked curiously.

At the mentioning of Frank Vogel, Father Donovan's face went grim and his cheeks turned pink. The priest then regained his composure and he said, "Well, I'm not proud of having argued with him, but I couldn't ignore my conscience any longer! That man was running the New Haven Center like a dictator and he had no concern for the immigrants or their wellbeing. He wouldn't even let me board one of the ships to read a dying woman her last rites because it was "against protocol!"

"You seem to have very strong feelings about the way the victim did his job," Maddie said curiously.

Father Donovan then exclaimed in anger, "That man was no Christian in my book and I even wrote a letter to the Concordian Gazette saying so!"

Maddie then crossed her arms and looked at the priest dubiously and said, "Well, I hope you didn't forget that your holy book doesn't condone murder Father!"

Once they were done talking to Father Donovan, Marie got to work figuring out the password to the leather bag until she found the right one. After Marie found out the password and opened the bag, the two women looked inside but were confused about the strange device inside. It was then that Maddie got an idea and she said, "I know who can help us find out what this thing is. Charlie! He's fond of contraptions of all kinds."