Chapter Four

As we rolled, very cautiously, into the Gainsville Cemetery, the mood in the car was grim. Or, at least it would have been had Asmodeus not been merrily humming "What's Up" by Four Non Blondes. Forty minutes had passed, several of them spent at Dollar General getting supplies, since I had told Bishop what I'd learned from the Holy High, and I had agreed to go on this road trip because I "had nothing better to do."

Bishop requested the demon and I stay in the car while he visited his mother's grave one last time before we left. I had nothing to say to the creature, so continued to stare around me in awe.

The car sat in the shade of an old maple tree. Its leaves just starting to change from green, to yellow, and orange. The tree would have been perfect for a tire swing with its heavy, low branches reaching out from a thick trunk. The bark clung tightly, cracked and seeping sap. A cool breeze drifted through the open windows, smelling faintly of burning leaves. Two white butterflies chased each other through the air.

Asmodeus turned in his seat to watch me, and my gaze shifted to him. One could not help but be drawn to his dark eyes, which were lined with long feathery lashes. HIs nose was of the variety humans could only achieve through the most fortunate genetics or surgery with a perfectly sculpted bridge and slight upturn at the end.

"Like what you see," he asked.

"What?! I'm not staring at you, asshole," I said, despite the fact I was staring directly at him. "I... I suppose I am just shocked by how detailed and colorful things are. Humans having so few senses, they are able to focus on things like tree bark or the fuzz on the back of this chair."

I ran my hand along the velvety seat. It left a light red stripe where it had traveled. I drew a heart.

"Yes, I suppose Earth is quite bland when you are immortal," he said.

I noticed that while my vision and general sensory intake seemed heightened, some of my senses didn't come through as strongly. My hearing was terrible. I no longer had any connection to the Waning, and I couldn't smell the stink of Hell wafting off Asmodeus. Though that last one was nothing to cry about.

Wondering what my sense of taste was like, I wrangled a bag of skittles out of the plastic grocery bag on the floor, opened it, and placed a green one on my tongue.

"Oh God," I cried. I emptied the bag into my hand, spilled skittles everywhere, and dumped as many as would fit into my mouth.

Being human was still the worst thing that had ever happened to me, besides this road trip, but that first burst of artificial flavor on my tongue made it seem just a little more bearable.

The crunching of gravel heralded Bishop's return. He silently climbed back into the car, and turned the key in the ignition. The old car puttered to life, and we fell back into that glum quiet.

"Cheer up, everybody," said Asmodeus happily.

Bishop and I sighed.

"Let's get going," said Bishop. "And you know what? We will cheer up. We are going to make sure you get your wings back too, Koke."

I had not forgotten my mission but I was at a loss at how to accomplish it. When I had asked Bishop if he'd any hate I could vanquish he had said, "No way, Man."

I nodded at him through the rearview mirror.

"You could kill them. That would make them less hateful," Asmodeus offered.

"Maybe try talking first," Bishop said, shifting gears.

......

We weren't on the road ten minutes before Bishop said, "Aw Howl Manor is right around here. It's one of the most haunted places in Michigan. I have been wanting to see it, just never got around to it."