Prologue

Young princess Katrina spun around and around, showing off her new rose-colored dress. Her handmaid, Marie, smiled warmly at her, happy to have picked out the perfect dress for the princess. Katrina looked up at her mother expectantly, hoping it would get her approval. The Queen looked down at her with disinterest. She turned to the handmaid, "A little juvenile, isn't it?" she left the room without another word.

Katrina sat down, deflated. She loved the dress and had been so excited to show her mother. If her mother saw how pretty she looked, maybe she would love her again. Marie sat down beside her and took her small hand in hers.

"What did I do wrong?" hot tears streaked down Katrina's face. She tried so hard to be perfect, but never measured up to her mother's standards.

"Now dear," Marie gently patted her cheeks with a handkerchief. "Princesses don't cry."

The words seemed to break through Katrina's disappointed fog. She looked up, her eyes red and puffy, "Why not?" she asked.

"Because my darling," Marie gazed at her with the love of a mother. "You are a princess. Your life is not going to be an easy one, and a lot will be expected of you. One day, you will be Queen." She tucked a stray hair behind Katrina's ear, looking deeply sad.

Katrina thought about this for a moment, "Do queens cry?" her innocent statement broke Marie's heart. She knew the hardships that the queen had endured. She witnessed the tears of sorrow, the agony of betrayal, and finally, the cold indifference of a hardened heart.

"Queens need to be strong. Can you be strong for me?"

Katrina looked up at her, beaming. "Of course, look!" she flexed her tiny muscles, eliciting a warm chuckle from Marie.

The next morning found Katrina sitting by her window, wearing a new dress that had been approved by the queen. She looked down at the castle grounds. Everything was in its place. The gardeners worked day and night to maintain it. She often wondered about them, when did they get to eat and sleep?

"What's troubling you sweetheart?" Katrina's eyes lit up at her father's voice. He had been away for months.

"Daddy!" She ran to hug him.

"I've missed you my darling," he embraced her tightly. She was the light of his life. Katrina had missed him so much. Her mother was always so cold towards her, but her father treated her like she was the best part of his existence.

"Come, sit with me, tell me about your travels!" Katrina said.

He stepped back and looked at her. "You grow so fast." He shook his head. "Sorry sweetheart, I have some things to take care of before getting ready for the banquet." He gave her another quick hug before leaving the room and said, "See you later alligator."

Katrina's spirits were high as she went back to the window. The garden looked beautiful.

Katrina eagerly awaited the banquet. She spent time reading, and looking out the window, wondering about the world beyond the garden. Katrina wasn't allowed to leave the castle grounds. The King and Queen had often told her about the dangers of the outside world, and how it is not a place for a beautiful princess.

She wasn't always sure she understood why she couldn't go out, especially since she had personal guards who were always nearby.

After some thought, she made a brave decision. She was going to ask her father if she could go on a trip out tomorrow. She stepped out, the guards at her door looked at her, ready to follow.

"I'm going to the ladies' room." She tried sounding confident as she spoke. As confident as a nine-year-old could. The guard nodded at her, grateful that he didn't have to follow her there.

She walked in the direction of the bathroom, ducking around a corridor as soon as her guards were out of sight. She walked quickly through the winding halls, hoping she wouldn't run into anyone who would know better.

After a few tense minutes, she could see her father's office. The King's office. She straightened her posture at the door and raised her hand to knock. She knew she would get in trouble for arriving unescorted, but she needed to make her presence known before she lost her nerve.

Just as she was about to knock, she noticed the door was already slightly ajar. She paused, listening. She didn't hear anything, so she decided to poke her head around. The reception area was empty.

Katrina shrugged and went in, deciding to wait for him on one of the extravagant seats reserved for only his office. She wiggled around until she was comfortable enough and sat back quietly. That's when she noticed muffled voices coming from the next room.

She crept towards the door, a sudden curiosity overcoming her. She closed her eyes as she listened, as if it would enhance her hearing somehow.

"Your Majesty, the situation on the streets is dire. The people on the outskirts are complaining about the lack of food and water. There is talk of a rebellion."

"A rebellion eh?" There was a pause. "Interesting."

"One of my soldiers heard whispers about a new group of rebels. It is reported that our neighboring Kingdom has joined their ranks. I hope you understand, your life may be in real danger."

The King pondered this for a moment. "What about that spy you caught in the castle?"

"He hasn't provided much information. All he would say is 'There will be a reckoning'. He kept repeating it."

"Well then." Katrina heard her father stand up, ready to end the conversation. "If your interrogations have proven unfruitful, kill him. Him and his family. People need to understand what happens when they go up against their king."

"But, your majesty," Katrina heard the hesitation in the man's voice. "He's just a boy."

"Are you disobeying my orders?" there was a cold note to the King's voice.

There was a short pause, tension in the air. "No, your Majesty. I will do as you ordered."

Katrina realized the meeting was at an end. She quickly looked towards the door. She knew she couldn't be caught listening. She hurried towards the door, terrified. Just as she stepped out of the room and left the door exactly as it was, she heard her father step into the reception area.

She didn't wait to see what would happen next. She ran.

***

Katrina barely paid attention to where she was going, until she ran into her maid, Marie.

"Katrina? Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you" She noted the disheveled state that the young princess was in. "Come with me, let's get you fixed up."

After Marie was satisfied with Katrina's appearance, she finally spoke again. "Are you going to tell me what you were up to?"

Katrina didn't know what to do. She didn't know what to think. Even at her young age, she was so disturbed by the conversation she overheard. "I heard something, and I wish I didn't." she said quietly.

"And what did you hear?" Marie asked patiently.

"Something my father said. Something about food and water and killing a boy." the words quickly spilled from her before she could stop them and tears welled up in her eyes. She needed to understand.

Marie's expression went cold. "Katrina, you can never repeat this to anyone else." she looked at her sternly. No one can ever know you overheard this conversation."

Katrina simply looked up at her trusted handmaid with big, sad eyes.

When the time came for the banquet, Katrina found herself sitting beside her mother, still feeling the shock of earlier. People were talking and laughing all around, after much hesitation, Katrina turned to her mother. "Mother, is father a good King?"

Her mother looked at her with a cool interest. Her reply sent a chill through Katrina. "There is no such thing."