Chapter 7

Jocelyn agreed to start working on the clothes for Katrina right away. Katrina felt lighthearted when she left. It felt good for a close friend to know her secret. She decided not to spend any more time in town until her new outfit was ready. She quickly returned home, glad it was still daytime. Once she made her way over the castle wall, one of the gardeners rushed over to her.

"Your Highness, you must come quick!"

"What's the matter?"

"Word was sent that the king has been asking around for you, he's headed to your room as we speak!"

The gardener quickly helped Katrina back into her more royal attire, and she climbed back up to her window. As she was adjusting her dress, her door opened, and a surly-looking king entered.

"Katrina!"

"Oh father, what a pleasant surprise!" she desperately tried to control her breathing, but there was nothing she could do about the sweat still dripping down her face.

"I have been looking for you all morning." His voice was stern. "Where have you been, and why are you so sweaty?"

"Uh, here father, I've been exercising!"

Her father looked at her dubiously, "Why would a woman need to exercise?"

Katrina couldn't hide her amazement at his ignorance, "Father, how do you think mother keeps her wonderful shape? If she didn't exercise you would complain about her looks!" she looked sweetly again, "And I must admit, I had a couple of extra desserts last week, I'm paying for it this week,"

He wasn't sure how to respond, "Oh, well." He looked like he had just been let in on an incredible secret.

"You were looking for me?" she pressed, hoping to move the conversation forward.

"Right, there's someone I want you to meet. He's a prince you know, unfortunately for him his mother bore many sons and he is quite far down the line. He holds a very respectable position in his own kingdom though."

Katrina stopped listening as he talked, her heart plummeting to the floor. This was the one thing she had been dreading for years. Being forced into a marriage likely for political reasons. This was probably due to the unrest in his own damn kingdom. Nothing better than a beautiful wedding for the princess to distract from the real issues at hand.

"But you won't be meeting today, especially not looking like that. You are to meet next week." She looked back at her father, he looked so happy and pleased with himself. Most commoner women were allowed to choose who they wanted to marry, but she couldn't fathom how he thought this would make her happy.

She didn't even notice when he left, she found herself sitting down on her bed, feeling sick. She summoned for her handmaid. She arrived at once.

"Tell Sir Dominic I need to see him right away, I'll be waiting in his private training area." She quickly changed into her riding clothes, then covered herself with her dress.

She was already holding her sword when Sir Dominic arrived. He looked at her quizzically.

"What about our agreement to keep our training lessons to pre-dawn? People might talk."

"No one other than my handmaid knows I'm here. I need a distraction."

Dominic shrugged as he picked up a sword. Recently, he had started limiting his specific lessons to once a week, the rest of the time they got right to sparring.

Katrina initiated, her fury driving her sword. The fight was swift and ferocious. She had started to become fairly proficient, but he had never seen this side of her. She was relentless, swing after swing, the unfairness of it all clouded her eyes, and all she could see was red.