Chapter 13

It was just a couple of hours before they set off. Katrina was in her assigned room, sitting, staring at nothing, deep in thought. Jocelyn walked in and watched her for a moment, noticing her furrowed brow, the concern on her face, and the blood that was about to be on her hands. They had agreed that whoever could get to the king first would be the one to kill him, but they all knew that Katrina would be the one to do it.

"Katrina," Jocelyn spoke softly, Katrina snapped out of her reverie and turned to Jocelyn, she was carrying a set of clothes.

"This is something I've been working on for you for a while now." She looked embarrassed. "Princesses typically wear beautiful and complicated dresses, but you aren't a typical princess. I figured a princess fighting a war ought to have some more befitting clothing."

Katrina smiled gratefully to her friend, and let her help her into the clothes. As she pulled on the pants, the high boots, the shirt and tunic, she found it felt exquisite on her skin.

The clothes fit perfectly. Part of her was glad she decided to forgo wearing armour, so someone else could use it. She enjoyed being able to move freely. She did a couple of squats and moved around as if she was using a sword, her movement wasn't restricted at all. She was still testing it when she realized Jocelyn was staring at her wide-eyed.

"What?" she asked

She smiled brightly, "Look," she pulled the mirror in front of Katrina. Katrina gasped, she had never seen anything like it before. The long tunic was fitted and didn't hide her femininity, but gave her a fierce, fiery look. There were beautiful, intricate designs, and a striking mix of black, red and silver colours. The colours of her Kingdom.

She looked at Jocelyn with tears in her eyes. "I've never felt so beautiful in my life." She said.

"Hey, it's not just for you. I think in the future I'm going to start a line of men's clothes for women. It's time for a change." Jocelyn smiled.

The two women hugged, terrified of losing each other, but grateful to have each other.

When the time came to leave, Katrina stayed where she was for a few more moments, mentally preparing herself for what was to come. She took a breath and stepped out to the training hall where everyone had gathered.

Mutters and exclamations rose up. Katrina held tightly onto the hilt of her sword, nervously thinking about what she could say to these people, her people. She finally looked in the eyes of the group, noticing the looks on their faces. Admiration, respect, loyalty, and fear. She gulped, realizing exactly how much they expected from her, what they expected her to accomplish.

Jocelyn quickly stepped to her side and whispered in her ear. "Remember, your part of the rebels, but you're also a princess." There was a twinkle in her eye as she spoke. "And now you look like a king." She winked to her as she stepped down.

"We all know this won't go flawlessly. Lives will be lost, on our side and theirs. This is your last chance to back out." Katrina offered. Not a single person moved

"Remember, anyone who wishes to surrender, will be spared." She looked at the group, tears welling up in her eyes. Their dedication and loyalty were astounding. "You, are an amazing group of people, and I am honoured to be fighting alongside you. Now," She smiled her stunning smile, "Let's take back the kingdom, and take back our lives!" She raised her sword in the air as she spoke. Cheers broke out, many raised their swords as well. Satisfied, Katrina sheathed her sword and went up to Sir Dominic, Lucas and Jocelyn.

They all looked at each other silently, gravely. Katrina indicated for the scouts to go first, sho they could show them the way, then they followed. The large group of rebels followed behind. At first, the group was loud and boisterous, talking excitedly. But after some time, as they neared the exit to the castle, they started to quiet down, mentally preparing themselves.