Thirty-Five: Hourglass

It was darker than I anticipated. I didn't dare use the small flashlight I found until I was clear of the Village. I stumbled quietly along the path, relying more on memory and touch than sight to guide me. After a few heart pounding moments, I made it to the section of fence that I stood by earlier. I could barely make out its silhouette. Instead of approaching it immediately, I stayed hidden in the nearby trees and shrubs and waited.

As I thought, a Villager meandered by with a lantern after a minute or two. A guard. I needed to be patient and determine how long it was between patrols so I could have the most time to escape. Who knew what being caught meant for me? My guess was either another long stay in the dark room at best or a death sentence at the worst.

Regardless, I didn't want to take my chances. I watched the guard walk away and waited for the next to come by.

I didn't make it that long, though.

Suddenly, a twig snapped behind me. A firm hand gripped my arm, pulling me back. It felt as though I couldn't breathe. How did the guard find me? I didn't move! He had no idea-

"Quiet," came your voice. I couldn't decide if that was an improvement over the guard or not. But I did as told. There was no use in fighting now.

You pulled me back into the Village where there would be no more patrols, where at this time of night, no one would see us. You released me, lighting a lantern you brought with you. You were illuminated in a dangerous light, your brows furrowed, lips thin. I never saw you so angry before.

So hurt.

"How did you find me-" I started without thinking.

"I was there the whole time. Your dog started whimpering as soon as you left the room." You explained helplessly. "I just wanted to see what you were doing- what you were planning-" you words stopped, hardening. "Just what were you planning?"

I hated feeling like a child being lectured, a teenager caught trying to sneak out. Letting the bag drop I was holding, my few supplies of fruit, bread, and water fell out. "If you were following me the entire time," I sneered, "I imagine it's quite obvious what I was planning."

"What was your plan?" You repeated through gritted teeth. It was obvious you were holding yourself back from yelling louder.

"I already told you-"

"No, you didn't!" You interrupted deafeningly. "Blindly leaving and hoping for the best isn't a plan."

You had me there. I couldn't form a word, but I didn't want to be so easily defeated either. "I-I-"

"Say you actually made it around the fence without being caught first," you continued. "What next?"

I shrugged, suddenly feeling so small against you. My eyes fell to the ground.

"What direction would you have gone? How far would you travel before deciding that that direction was hopeless?" It was question after question that I had no answer to, each fired so rapidly I wouldn't have been able to answer if I tried. "How lost would you have become? How long were you planning to take, because those meager supplies? They wouldn't have lasted long. You could've been hurt! You could've died if you weren't found first!" You ranted with a mixture of concern, anger, and fear.

Of everything you said, I realized, it wasn't my leaving you that angered you. It was the fact I probably would've been hurt or worse. You were only like this because you cared.

And for some reason, that made this hurt even more.

"So now let's think about the more likely option: what if you didn't succumb to nature first? What if you were found outside the fence? Do you know the consequences? That is the ultimate breach in all our trust. Once found, which I promise you would've happened, there are no second chances. Do you know what that means for you?" Your words fell, "What it would mean for me? I would've lost you."