Chapter 4

~*~

When my lunch break was over, I dreaded going back upstairs. Spending the rest of the day with Jason sounded miserable.

Hopefully it wouldn't take him too long to find a new assistant. There was already a job posting in our company career portal for the assistant position, so at least the process started. It seemed like he only wanted to hire within the company, which made sense. He'd never really know how a person hired from outside would behave, and this was a high-up position at the company.

Briefly, I wondered if I made the right decision by declining the offer. However, after just starting my career, the last thing that I needed was to get burnt out by being the assistant to this needy billionaire.

When I went back upstairs after lunch, I was surprised to see that Jason wasn't in his office. His office door was unlocked, so maybe he just went to the bathroom or something. I went into the office and sat down in his guest chair to wait. 

Ten minutes passed, and he still wasn't back. I was eyeing his chair; the longer he was gone, the more tempted I was to sit in it. It looked really expensive and comfortable.

Peeking out of his office, there was no sign of him coming in any time soon. I walked behind his desk and sat down in his chair: the CEO's chair. It was a weird feeling being behind the desk, and it gave me a bit of an adrenaline rush. I knew that sitting in his chair right now was probably breaking some rule, but he had been a dick to me and this was my reward.

The chair had wheels, and it spun on the wheels so smoothly. Sitting cross-legged on the chair,  I grabbed onto the wall and used the momentum to spin myself. This was one way to pass the time. Dizziness started to set in, and that's of course when he returned.

"Having fun?" he asked.

I stopped myself from spinning, and the world was still moving as I looked up at him. He was carrying a takeout bag from Chick-fil-A, so he had obviously gone for lunch. The expression on his face was full of amusement. 

This was really embarrassing. I was behaving like a four year old that had just found a spinning chair for the first time, but nope, I was a twenty-two year old woman. Instead of dying of embarrassment, I tried to own it. "Yeah, actually. I was just testing out the chair. This CEO job doesn't seem too bad."

He chuckled. "I'm glad you like it. What do you think of the spinning feature?"

Blushing, I played along. "It was pretty good, but not the best I've ever had."

"Harsh," he said teasingly. He sat down in the guest chair that I'd been sitting in earlier and opened up his bag of Chick-fil-A. It surprised me that he kept letting me sit in his chair, but I didn't question it.

I moaned as the smell of the chicken and waffle fries hit my nostrils. "I would've waited for lunch if I knew you were going to get Chick-fil-A. That smells incredible."

He laughed. I hated to admit it, but the sound of his laugh and the genuine smile on his face that reached his eyes... well, it made my heart beat faster in my chest.

"I have a proposition for you, new CEO," he began jokingly. "If you give me my chair back and help me for the rest of the day, I'll treat you to Chick-fil-A for dinner tonight as a 'thank you'."

Not sure how to respond, I took a few seconds to contemplate what he'd just said. Dinner with Jason Bennett? Never in a million years did I imagine that would ever happen. As an employee, I was supposed to be doing work. However, since he'd forced me to be his temporary assistant, a 'thank you' gesture for helping out was nice regardless.