Chapter Three

A/N - Angsty Cait (or just grief from loss in general) is definitely a bit hard for me to write but hopefully I'm doing okay so far :'D Things should get hopefully interesting a bit later :'D Hope you like! Feel free to vote/comment, thanks! :) 

What better way to start off the school year than Potions with Professor Snape. Cait reached the classroom, but she found herself hesitating to go in. Professor Snape always liked to keep his classroom dim, and it always left a gloomy mood for Cait's taste.

Jade was usually the one who brightened the atmosphere for her.

"Are you going to go in?" She heard Angelina Johnson ask as she passed her.

"Mhm hmm, yeah." Cait forced herself to step inside, not wanting to appear strange because she was feeling a bit emotional about going into a classroom.

Snape's classroom looked relatively the same as always; dark wooden tables with cauldrons. Cait quickly took her usual seat, setting her stuff down. Her other classmates began to file in, and she prayed that people wouldn't pay her any attention and take their seats from last year too.

Professor Snape sauntered in, though everyone knew the last thing he wanted to do with his time was to teach children Potions.

"To remind you all that summer is officially over, you and your partner will start by brewing Elixir to Induce Euphoria. This is a simple review, so if any of you imbeciles were paying attention last year, brewing and submitting a report of your process by the end of class should be no problem." With that, Snape turned his back on everyone and took a seat at his desk.

Cait's heart raced. She knew that she would have to talk to Professor Snape today. Pushing her chair back, she slowly made her way up to Snape's desk.

"What is the problem, Miss Gibbons?" He drawled before she officially stopped at his desk.

"Um, " Cait began. "Hi, P-Professor. I, um, don't have a partner anymore. W-Would it be acceptable for me to work alone? Or did you want me to just join another group?"

"You don't have a partner anymore." He stopped scribbling, repeating Cait's words slowly as though he was a robot.

"Y-Yes." Cait affirmed. Is he not aware of Jade's condition? Or did it not connect to him that Jade was my partner?

Snape looked annoyed she bothered him with something that seemed so trivial, as though she couldn't make a decision herself. Cait just wanted to make sure to clarify what was expected of her. She didn't want to give Snape any excuses to lecture her later for not asking him.

"Pucey." Snape suddenly called, causing Cait to flinch at the sudden volume.

Cait turned to see Adrian Pucey get up from where he was sitting, making his way over. She shifted a bit to make room for him, but Adrian didn't seem to really notice.

"Yes, Professor?" Adrian greeted, his tone a bit wary.

"I'm aware I gave you permission to work alone after Warrington flunked out of my class." Snape started. He then muttered under his breath. "He and his parents should have listened to me when I told them that he would struggle with his prior marks." Snape refocused his attention back on Adrian. "I frankly do not want to grade more than I need to, and fortunately the two of you are both partnerless. I trust you two won't have problems being partners for this year...?"

Cait widened her eyes. What? I need to work with... She took a glance at Adrian, who didn't seem particularly thrilled about this new arrangement either. I don't know much about him, but I see him with Adonis a lot. Jade never really talked about him much either...