Chapter Six

A/N - Thanks for being patient! I hope you like this chapter :'D Feel free to vote/comment, thanks! :)

Cait winced as she made her way down to breakfast, still feeling her left hand stinging from Umbridge's detention. The fact that she would have to go through it again for the rest of the week didn't sit well with her either.

She saw Cedric waiting for her at his seat. Cait clasped her hands together so that her wounds wouldn't be noticeable.

"Hey," Cedric said. "Did you sleep well?"

Cait replied. "I've had better nights." She then narrowed her eyes slightly when she saw that Cedric was holding an edition of the Daily Prophet. "Anything interesting in the news?"

Cedric shrugged, but handed the paper over to Cait. "It appears there are some administration politics about Hogwarts."

Cait took the paper with her right hand, glancing at the section Cedric was pointing to.

MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORM

DOLORES UMBRIDGE APPOINTED

FIRST EVER HIGH INQUISITOR

"High Inquisitor?" Cait muttered, frowning when she saw a moving black and white photograph of Umbridge below. She hardened her eyes, which was usually something Jade would do, but she found she couldn't control how her eyes behaved when it came to this woman.

She kept reading.

In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She skimmed over a few sentences. As recently as 30th August, Educational Decree Number Twenty Two was passed, to ensure that, in the event of the current Headmaster being unable to provide a candidate for a teaching post, the Ministry should select an appropriate person.

"That's how Dolores Umbridge came to be appointed to the teaching staff at Hogwarts," said Weasley last night. "Dumbledore couldn't find anyone so the Minister put in Umbridge, and of course, she's been an immediate success, totally revolutionising the teaching of Defence Against the Dark Arts and providing the Minister with on-the-ground feedback about what's really happening at Hogwarts."

"Immediate success, huh?" She nearly groaned.

"An exaggeration, most likely." Cedric chimed in, sensing where Cait is in the paper.

Cait kept on reading, her hazel eyes practically flying across the sentences. "The Inquisitor will have powers to inspect her fellow educators and make sure they are coming up to scratch. Professor Umbridge has been offered this position in addition to her own teaching post and we are delighted to say she has been accepted."

She set the paper down, rubbing her head in her hands. "We need to deal with Umbridge in our other classes too?"

Cedric suddenly leaned forward. "Cait! What happened to your hand?" He raised his voice, though it was out of concern and not anger. "Why are they all red?"

This is great. Cait sighed. "Um, I had to do some lines for detention." She didn't really want to have this conversation this early in the morning, but she didn't want to lie to Cedric after he asked her about it.

"Lines?" Cedric protested. "With a scalpel?"

"Cedric-"

"Did you go see Madam Pomfrey?" He asked.

"It hasn't even been a day." Cait responded. "Oh yeah, I have to go back to her office tonight too."

Cedric shook her head. "Cait, this is ridiculous. Umbridge is crazy if she thinks she can mutilate students like that. Are you going to tell Professor Sprout?"