here comes the two

"Sophie!"

I had been leaning my elbows onto my thighs and my head onto my hands, not expecting anyone to call my name. I jolt into an upright position and find myself staring into the eyes of my possible new friend.

"Luke! It's been a while," I joke, kicking a leg out to cross it over the other.

"Too long," he laughs, plopping down next to me. "How was that goodbye?"

I sigh deeply. "Not the most fun thing I've ever done."

"Yeah, it doesn't get easier. You'd think it would after four years, but the distance between here and home never gets shorter. Where are you from?"

"Cleveland."

"Ohio? No wonder you've come all this way. Don't like the snow?" Luke leans forward, interested.

"It's nice to look at. Pretty, but pretty cold." I say. "What about you?"

"Australia originally, but Atlanta since we moved here." Luke claps his hands. "Alright, enough small talk, your mom is THE Christina Dumont?"

"I guess she is, although I wasn't aware she was THE anything until we got here today, so," I kick a rock off the pavement. "What is it she's still so famous for?"

"She brought the dayger to Hacienda, and we've never been the same since," Luke exclaimed, jumping up and landing so hard on his feet it must've hurt.

"They're just parties. I know some crazy things went on at some of those parties she was the ringleader of back in the day, but what makes them so noteworthy?"

"Noteworthy? More like legendary. They must be experienced, not talked of, that's rule number one." He nods.

"And what's rule number two?" I ask, standing up and dragging the point of one of my shoes along the ground until it's right under me.

"I'm so glad you asked. Rule number two is that all new students must go to their first one their very first night." He smiles evilly. 

"Sophia?" Asks a new voice.

Luke and I turn around and see a pretty girl, taller than me with straight blonde hair and a rolling suitcase.

"Yes! Sophie, and you must be Olivia?"

"Yup, but you can call me Liv! It's so nice to finally meet you, roomie!" We come together and wrap each other in a tight squeeze. We had been in some correspondence before today and seemed to both be super excited to finally meet in person.

"I-I'm Luke," he stammers.

"Hi, Luke!" She smiles sweetly and leans close to our ears as two people that were most likely her parents were coming into earshot. "I caught the tail end of what you said darlin', we'll be at that party tonight, you can count on that," Liv says, her accent and the scent of peaches wafting over us.

"Great! Awesome, I can't wait to see you there. You guys there." Luke says with a goofy grin.

I turn to Liv. "I'll leave you to unpack! Luke, mind if I come with you to yours?"

"Not at all, Sophie! Let's hit it." Luke turns and starts to walk away.

I hug Liv one more time. "So glad to finally meet you! We'll meet up again later!" I quickly introduce myself to her parents before sprinting to catch up with Luke.

"I actually like you, therefore I claim you. So glad I got to you before anyone else, and you will be too, I hope, if you like us. You're gonna get to meet the rest of the gang now. Sorry about the mess already, we all moved in pretty early so we could practice while no one was here to be bothered by the noise."