V.

Major Godfrey avoided Cecelia for all of a fortnight. He did not come by her box at the opera, he did not call at her house, he did not drive in the Park at their usual hour, and, when they met unexpectedly at a dinner party, he gave her only a polite bow and a smile before devoting his attention to his host's spinster aunt for the rest of the night. When Cecelia was just starting to think he had gone off her for good, he turned up again, calling on her not five minutes after Sebastian had gone for a walk. Cecelia wondered if the major had been waiting to see Sebastian leave.

"I thought it might be time for the daffodils," Major Godfrey said as he eased himself into a chair. "If we don't go soon, they'll wilt away, Lady Cecelia."

"As I told you, it's not daffodils I like."

"But you won't tell me what you do like. If you did, you know, I'd go to the ends of the earth to get it for you." He leaned forward, not touching her hand but close enough to do so if he so pleased. He often did that. So far, he had never pleased. "Is it azaleas?"

"It is nothing you could get me."

"Ah. The flower of heaven then. Fitting, for a lady such as yourself."

"Don't be frivolous," Cecelia said sharply.

"I'm being poetic, not frivolous. Oh, perhaps it was both. There's something dreadfully earthly about you, Cecelia. You're no creature of heaven, merely a human woman, and grateful I am for it. A sprite would never suit me. I prefer you of blood and flesh."

He lingered uncomfortably on the last word, drifting closer through the eddy. Had it been Sebastian's return which altered the current between them? Cecelia drew back.

"Major Godfrey, I think we ought to stop this... this whatever it is that we've been doing, the past year."

His eyes widened with surprise. "What is it that we've been doing, Lady Cecelia? We've been very good friends, have we not?"

"I'm not sure we have. I've always had the impression one of us is a cat and the other a mouse, and I'm not sure who is which. Cats and mice do not good friends make."

A one-sided smile stretched across the major's face. "I had the impression we were taking it in turns. Right now, my dear, you're the mouse."

"And where does this end? Does one of us get caught?"

"Do you wish me to catch you?" For the first time, Major Godfrey took her hand in his, playing with her fingers. "It's the chase I like. I'd let you go after I caught you so we could play the game again."

Cecelia shook his hand off. "I'm married."

"And you were married before your husband returned. A little gentle flirtation never hurt anyone, my lady. I doubt Mr Price's flirtations in Paris have hurt you. And they may not have been so gentle."

It had never occurred to Cecelia to wonder if Sebastian had met any women in Paris. Her shock must have shown in her face. Major Godfrey took up her hand again and this time kissed it.

"Sir William took a wife last year, little slip of a thing, pretty, English, twenty years younger than himself. The same age as Mr Price, in fact. And they must be thrown together so often. She must want for English company, over there in Paris."

"My husband isn't like that." Cecelia wrenched her hand from Major Godfrey's. "I'm sorry if I encouraged you. If! We both know I did. I was wrong to do so. But now I'm asking you to be a gentleman and withdraw before... before any more damage is done."

"Then the game is over. And the mouse has escaped." Major Godfrey stood and went to the door. There, he paused. "If your husband is not like that, Lady Cecelia, then for what reason did the ambassador send him home?"