Highschool Sweethearts

Slam

Janus forcibly closed his locker. It was the last time he'd ever have to. The last time he'd have to wander these retched halls. Freedom was so close, he could taste it. Janus was graduating; all he had to do was make it through the ceremony and he'd never have to come back. He could barely wait that long. After all, only one good thing had ever come out of this shitty building. Out of this shitty small town. 

"Hey Jan!" A chipper voice called as footsteps sounded down the hallway.

Patton. An endlessly chipper boy with strawberry blonde hair. He had soft blue eyes that could melt your soul, and they sat behind large round glasses. His curly hair and freckled face only added to his teddy-bear sequel appearance. Patton Ithiki was the only good thing that had ever emerged of Janus' crap-shoot of a hometown. Patton, Janus' long term boyfriend. The man he hoped to marry someday.  

"Hey, babe," 

Patton smiled, blushing slightly at the pet name. To be fair, Patton was always smiling, and everything made him blush. The pink tint looked perfect on his round face, and Janus never tired of admiring it. It was part of what made him so attractive. That damn beautiful smile of his. If you had told anyone that Janus, the scary punk-kid known as Deceit would fall for the schools biggest softie, no one would believe you. Perhaps their dynamic as opposites is what drew them towards each other. 

Or, perhaps. It was the fact that they had both faced so many struggles. Janus came from an abusive household, full of drugs, alcohol, and sex-work. Not that there is anything wrong with sex work, but it shouldn't be displayed in front of young children. Nor should it be suggested that they participate. Janus' young stray from innocence allowed him to find solace in Patton's innocent demeanor. Patton's family was, intense, to say the least. He had two helicopter parents, who did not approve of Janus one bit. Patton had little issue with their helicoptering until he outed himself as Pansexual. His parents did not take kindly to this. Janus blinked the thoughts away.

Patton grabbed Janus' arm gently, "You ready, for this?"

"I was born ready, my dear," They linked arms.

"Then let's go," 

They made their way down the hallway and outside to the stage that had been set up for their graduation ceremony. The wait felt eternal. As the seconds passed both boys thought about their futures, the lives they'd carve out for themselves after this. Would they receive assignments? What would they do for work? How would they fare outside the small town they'd known all their lives.

Patton was more excited than anything. He knew Janus would have his back through any hardships they may face. The two already had an apartment lined up and Janus had already gotten accepted to a decent paying job. Patton had years of experience with animals and was sure he'd quickly find a job at a local shelter or pet store. 

Janus was nervous. So much could go wrong. They were gonna be on their own; no one to come running back to if it all went wrong. Sure, he had already been accepted into a decently paying position, but what if that wasn't enough. What if Patton decided he wanted more, he deserved more, after all.

Finally they were called up to receive their diplomas. They smiled and took pictures. They partied with their classmates. Said good-bye to teachers, friends, bullies, and acquaintances. They were starting a new chapter of their lives, and nothing would ever be the same. That night, Janus got the first in what would become a series of tattoos. Tattoos that would mark important occasions. The date was inked into his pale skin, etched on his forearm just below his elbow. Something to remember, although he doubted he'd ever forget.

~3 Years Later~

"What if-" Janus began, 

"Don't even finish that thought, Babes," Remy  tried to calm a pacing Janus. The poor boy had been riddled with anxiety and pacing through the room for almost fifteen minutes now.

 "Jan, you'll be fine, I promise."

Janus continued to pace. A million thoughts raced through his head all at once. What if Patton changed his mind? After all, weren't they too young for this? What if Patton regretted asking him? What if the dress wasn't pretty enough? Maybe he should have had Patton their to help pick it out. But the Groom wasn't supposed to see the dress. However, this wasn't the most conventional marriage either. What if Patton had wanted him to wear a tux? Sure, he and Patton had talked through all the details, including his attire, but he couldn't help being afraid. Janus hadn't had much growing up, but since middle school he had had Patton, and that had been enough; and today he and Patton would become one another's forever. Or so he hoped...

The music started and that was Janus' cue. It was time. He was really doing this. After spending 10 years with this man he was finally taking that next step. Remy took him by the arm, "You'll do fine, Babes"

All of Janus' worries, okay lets be honest all of Janus' thoughts, stopped the moment he saw Patton standing there. Patton's baby-blue eyes lit up the second he saw Janus. Patton felt faint just standing there, he hadn't seen the dress and it blew him away. His simple pale blue tux felt casual in comparison to the beauty walking down the aisle, and while the dress was pretty Janus was the show stopper, his slightly long hair was gelled back perfectly showing off his gorgeous face, scales and all. The dress had so many ruffles and Patton was sure he'd be distracted by them if he wasn't so focused on his fiancé's beautiful face. Both boys couldn't help but tear up, they had known they'd be emotional but nothing could prepare them for just how amazing this moment truly was. 

The priest began going through the time old lines before eventually reaching the important part,

"I will now ask the grooms to read off their pre-written vows"

Patton and Janus shared a look. Patton was the first to speak,

"Janus, we've been in love for so long, and friends for longer. There's no one I trust more, and no one else I would feel this happy giving my heart to. You've been with me for ten years, through every up and every down, and I can never thank you enough," That's when the waterworks began, through his sobs he choked out the rest of his vows "I love you now, and I'll love you till the day I die, you're my first and only and I just hope I can be even a fraction of the person you see me as"

By this point they were both crying. Although Janus denies it, to this day. Seeing as Patton had finished, it was time for Janus to start.

"Patton, darling, love of my life, I do not come from money. I did not grow up with much, but I grew up with you and I could never ask for more. I want to give you the world, because you're my world. You've given me all I could ever want and I hope to do the same for you. I hope to be there through everything. Every moment, because I love you."

"I now pronounce you husband and husband, you may kiss each other."

And kiss they did. The wedding was gorgeous and the afterparty was thrilling. Cake and dancing. It was truly a night to remember. Despite there being no way to forget Janus wanted to ensure the memory would stay with him forever, and so another date was added to his forearm. More black ink reminding him of the newest chapter in his life, what he hoped would be the happiest days of his life. It wouldn't be the last tattoo, but for now it was the most significant. A reminder of the day he married his High-School Sweetheart