The Weekend...

I sat in the front seat of a shiny red station wagon. We were down some dead end street. Hell no I wasn't on a date. I was stuck with Elaine and Josh. We always start off listening to music and laughing. Then the music slows down, and I'm forced to sit in the front seat while they tongue kiss and Elaine's long ass legs kick me in the back of the head. I always brought along a book to keep me entertained. Tonight I was reading "A catcher in the Rye." I wonder if I was like him. I was lonely, but I didn't insult people. I turned up the radio a bit more as their smacking lips seemed to get louder.

"Sabrena will you step out the car for a little bit." Josh asked. I rolled my eyes. This was the worse shit. I went and sat on the on the hood of the car. All the cars that lined the street had steamed up windows, and were bouncing up and down. I put my book down and stared up into the black sky. The stars were shining bright, reminding me of God's presence. I asked him not to make me do this anymore. I picked back up my book and started back reading. It seemed like forever. I was starting to feel a little cold. This really sucked. A chill ran up my spine. I shivered and looked around the neighborhood. I wonder if these people knew teenagers had sex in front of their homes. I looked at all the nice ranch style homes. I heard that all black people lived in this neighborhood. All the whites had moved to Afton Oaks. Oh well, I was starting to freeze. I closed my book, and zipped my coat.

"Sabrena. You ready?" Josh asked me. I nodded. I got into the steamy car. I hated the idea of riding amongst his nut sack sweat, and other sexual fluids. I rolled my eyes out sheer disgust and cracked the window in hopes of fluids flying out of the window. I looked at my watch, the night was still very young. So I stopped by Cara's. She didn't have a date tonight, and I'm sure she was at home with her mom. They were the funniest women I knew. They stayed across the street from me anyhow.

I entered Ms. Boudreaux's living room. She had a head filled with rollers, and she was smoking a cigarette. Cara was sitting in her father's chair staring at the television. Her dad had died last year. They were laughing at a show that I hated.

"Hey baby." Ms. Boudreaux said.

"Hey." I said sitting beside her. She asked if I wanted some dinner. But I told her I was full from the little hamburger I had.

"Ya'll better stop eating that stuff. Probably horse meat." She said. I laughed at her. But jumped as someone began beating on the door. The three of us looked at one another with fear and confusion. They were not expecting guest. She got her little six shooter, and cocked it. "Who is it?" she asked loudly.

"The damn Police!" The voice yelled. She flipped her porch light on.

"Show me your warrant." She demanded. Cara and I were confused as hell.

"Probably for your parking tickets." Cara whispered to her mom. Her mom flipped her off.

Ms. Boudreaux opened the door. In the doorway was Dr. Maurice Ross. He was the best doctor in Houston. He had black and white patients. He was young. He had finished high school at 15. Med School at 18, and now he was barely 30 and was a successful doctor.

"Boy what the hell you doing here?" Ms. Boudreaux asked him. He smiled.

"I wanted to take Cara out. I figured I would ask you." He said. I looked at my friend. She appeared to be shocked. We didn't even know he liked Cara. Everyone knew him. Everyone was always in his business. So his love life, especially amongst women was not a mystery.

"You for real nigga?" Cara's mother asked.

"Yeah." He said.

"How serious? You got money to pay?" she asked Maurice. He held up a big knot of money.