Shadow Knows

By Maraja Sargasso

    Silver trudged through the undergrowth of Mystic Jungle, trying to keep his footing on the slick ground. It was raining hard, making the dirt turn to mud that clung to his heavy boots.
He looked around himself every few seconds, trying to see if anything was following him, and he was becoming even more paranoid than usual.

    A twig snapped, the sound reached his ear, and he turned, but he didn't expect the hard punch that sent him flying from where he had been looking previously. He stood up as fast as he could, and his hands glowed a turquoise blue. His eyes landed on the silhouette of a black hedgehog smirking proudly at him with his arms crossed, and Silver launched an attack.

"Plasma Spear!" he yelled, as blue energy darts shot from his hand in his attacker's direction.

    The hedgehog however, dodged with ease and flashed toward him in a reddish-gold blur. Before he could even tell what was happening, Silver felt the other uppercut him, and he went sailing through the air. But instead of crashing, he righted himself with his telekinesis, and an idea came to him. With his arm extended toward his assailant, he used his power to hold the black hedgehog still.

The mysterious mobian grunted in annoyance before he teleported out of the white hedgehog's hold. "I've been taking it easy on you, kid," he stated, and Silver's eyes widened.

Meanwhile...

Sonic, Amy, Rouge, Cream, Tails, Knuckles, Blaze, and Omega were all at Sonic and Tails' shared house for an indoor picnic, since it was raining outside. They had their food spread on the floor in the living room, and they were sitting either on the floor or on the couch. Blaze looked around, as if she was waiting on someone, and Rouge quickly noticed.

"What's on your mind, hon?"

"Has anyone seen Shadow or Silver?" she asked. Amy rolled her eyes.

"I think they're still training out in the jungle," she hmphed, "If they're not here in two minutes, I'm gonna go find them and drag them in by the ear."

      Not three seconds after she said that, a deafening crash echoed, and a white blur fell through the door, past the living room, and into the kitchen. Everyone stood up in shock, as Shadow strode calmly through the hedgehog shaped hole and cracked his knuckles.

    Silver tried to pick himself; he was covered in black and blue bruises, and his eye was swollen. When they looked at the black, red-striped hedgehog, they noticed that he had a split lip, which they assumed was from one of Silver's lucky hits. They were about to continue their "little" brawl, but before Shadow could land his next hit, he felt a sharp pinch in his ear.

"Ow! Ow ow ow!" he winced and was planning to knock the living daylights out of whoever was gripping his ear, but that plan quickly dissipated when he saw Amy's stern frown.

"You're late," she said and yanked painfully. His eye twitched, but refrained doing anything to harm her.

"If you would please let go of my ear, I can explain," he growled. She wasn't frightened, but she released him anyway and went to help Silver.

"Are you okay?" she asked, and he nodded with a stupid grin on his face.

"Yeah, just typical training. I think I'm getting better," he explained cheerfully, and Amy sent Shadow a look that he wasn't sure how to interpret.

"Uh-hum," she hmphed, "I'll go get the first aid kit, while you two dry off."

As the pinkette walked away, Shadow rubbed his sore ear with an angry frown following her retreating figure. He looked at Silver, and the two shrugged. They couldn't figure out why she was so mad at their training sessions.