Chapter Two

A month passed, midterms were finally over and Raquel was so relieved

A month passed, midterms were finally over and Raquel was so relieved. She had been so swamped between work and school that other than a few visits, she rarely got to see her brother. Julio had been busy as well, the few times he came he had been so tired that he would just crash on her couch and then be gone by morning.

Currently, Raquel was arguing with her roommate and best friend, Max, who was trying to get her to go out. "No."

"Ra, it's a new club opening!"

"I don't care, I said no."

"Raquel, you don't even fucking have work tomorrow! Come on, we got our grades back and both got A's. That is worth celebrating!" Maxine pleaded, and Ra rolled her eyes heavenward before putting her head down on the kitchen table. Standing at 5'5", Max leaned against the fridge opposite of Raquel, and crossed her arms as brown eyes glared down at her best friend. The two met in undergrad, they were dorm mates before both saved up enough money by junior year, with Julio chipping in, to get the two bedroom apartment they currently shared.

"I have been working nonstop for the better part of three weeks, tomorrow is the one day off that I've gotten where I don't have homework or anything else to do. I want to sleep, Max."

"But, this is exactly why you should come." Max stepped forward, and Raquel looked up at her friend with a raised brow. "Party, get drunk tonight and then sleep all day tomorrow."

"Max-"

"Please?" She cut her off, and Raquel groaned as she put her head back into her arms. "What if Julio comes over?" She was grasping at straws, and they both knew it as her friend scoffed.

"Julito has a key, and there's leftovers in the fridge. Nice try."

"Fine!" Raquel snapped, and Maxine squealed as she jumped up and down from her place by the fridge and Raquel rolled her eyes. "But, I pick out my own damn dress."

"Deal."

Maxine hurried to her room to get ready, and Raquel looked at the time before deciding that she should get ready too. She took a quick shower, straightening her hair in their shared bathroom as she stood in a towel while Max was curling hers.

"What are you going to wear?" Maxine asked, innocently, and Raquel shot her a look before setting the flat iron down. "Don't even start that shit, I am picking out my own clothes." Max was working on getting her Masters in fashion and design, she currently had a paid internship at a major fashion magazine label in Midtown, and absolutely loved to use Ra as her guinea pig.

This idea was reinforced as Max let out a whine and pouted her plump lips. "Come on! We're going to a club, you have to show some skin or how else are you gonna find a man?"

"Are we talking about a man, as in, future husband? Or a man for me to fuck, cause either way you know Julio isn't gonna be with that shit."

"A man as in a good fuck, and maybe future husband. You haven't gotten laid in forever, and your brother will be aiight." Maxine rolled her eyes as she continued to curl her hair, and Ra left the bathroom as she moved to her room across the hall. "You go ahead and try telling him that."