Prologue

A long time ago, the twelve Olympians each gave one very powerful relic to their children to show that even though they were gods, they cared. These relics were split between the two camps long before the feud between the Greeks and Romans caused the gods to make each camp forget that the other existed. Over time these relics were lost on quests, stolen, or purposefully hidden because of their sheer power. The loss of these powerful gifts over time angered the gods, which contributed to them becoming more distant.

Chiron, the director of Camp Halfblood, is supposedly the only being besides the gods who is aware of the existence of the relics. He's kept the knowledge of their existence to himself throughout the years, fearing what would happen if they got into the wrong hands. Years ago, a son of Demeter discovered a boulder with Ancient Greek writing carved into it. The boulder displayed a prophecy. It told of two children of the gods, one from Camp Halfblood, and one from  Camp Jupiter, who were destined to restore the relics safely to the camps. It warned that if they failed and the relics fell into the wrong hands, it would mean the destruction of all demigods. Terrified, Chiron warned the son of Demeter not to tell anyone. The demigod kept his promise, and Chiron kept his secret. The son of Demeter has now been dead for years after a failed quest, but the two children of the prophecy have yet to reveal themselves. Upon the reconnection with Camp Jupiter, Chiron tells Reyna, the praetor of the Roman camp, about the relics and the prophecy, and she agrees that the information is best kept a secret. Chiron and Reyna wait anxiously for the day when Rachel Elizabeth Dare, the Oracle, will give a prophecy regarding the two half bloods and embark on a quest to restore the missing relics.

Two of these relics, however, have already been discovered: The sword Anaklusmos, Poseidon's relic, which was kept by the centaur Chiron for many hundreds of years until it was handed down to Percy Jackson, the son of Poseidon, and Hephaestus' relic, a toolbelt that could produce things by just reaching a hand in and thinking about the needed tool, which was discovered by the fire god's son, Leo Valdez. Chiron trusts that Percy and Leo will keep these items safe, but decides it's best they don't know the whole backstory of the items. After two wars, things are finally settling down at both the Roman and Greek camps, and Reyna and Chiron push the idea of another prophecy to the back of their minds, hoping for some peace. But of course, as things usually go for demigods, there won't be any.