Chapter 3

Kayline McKenzie

Chris and Kayline eventually make it out of the city, and now they are just running through desert. Kayline hops over a cactus, barely missing the spikes.
For a few minutes their only source of light was the stars and moon. Kayline cherishes the feeling of the slight breeze, running through her hair, and the sharp sting of air running in and out of her lungs. She pushes faster, desperate to feel even more.

              As Kayline runs faster, she sees the reflection of the castle getting closer. The fulgent white walls, blinding Kayline from miles away.

The castle is built like a fairytale dream come true. With towers, drawbridge, and of course the statues of gargoyles and angels. Is Kayline the only one that gets freaked out by them? They seem to follow her around and judge everything she does.... which is a lot. She sees Chris's silhouette somewhere as she looks back, but right now Kayline doesn't care. She's winning.

               Kayline finally makes it to the grande entrance. Her chest burns with pain and pride. Her lungs feel rejuvenated from the run, making her body feel free and at ease. She waits a couple of minutes for Chris.

Kayline does some stretches so her muscles won't relax and go back to their previous position. Chris finally makes it and starts to do the stretch with her. Both of their chests lift up and down from the 5 mile run. Christina looks at her army watch.

                  " I got 31 minutes. You?" Christina asks, still looking at her watch. Kayline looks down at her watch. She smiles, for the knowledge that she beat her sister in the race obviously.

                   " 23!" Kaylines says slyly.

                   " There is no way you got 23 minutes!" Christina throws her arms in the air, in exasperation. Kayline chuckles. They walk on the drawbridge, entering the castle.

    However they don't walk through the Big Door. They make thier way around the curve of the castle, the walls still blinding Kayine's eyes from the brightness and they make it to one of the "secret" entrances.

                    As Christina closes the door behind her, Kayline's nose is filled with the sweet smell of soup and bread. The kitchen is deserted and the tables are clean, expect for the pot full of bean filled soup and the pan with the famous corn flavored bread that Francine makes.

                     " Yes, it's soup night!" Christina exclaims.

                      But before Chris could even get spoon, Francine rushes in and gasps. Her stout figure pretty much fills the doorway, but you can never trust a skinny chef.

Francine laughs while she puts her hand on her heart, her laugh smooth and comforting. Christina and Kayline used to sneak into the kitchen late at nights and face the fury of Francine. Which wasn't much. Instead of yelling, she would smile and take them to the deep recesses of the fridge. They girls would get chocolate all over their faces. Kayline smiles at the memory and feels grateful for Francine.

                " You scared the crap out of me, girls. Now, now, Christina you will get your chance to eat." Christina frowns, depressed from her lack of soup. Kayline tries her best to suppress her laughter when a thought came to her.