Ep. 8

Prologue

After Faiza taps into knowledge of where Nilfgaard will attack next, she rides to Roz's last known location in Sodden.

"Faiza! Welcome to Carcano!" Roz greets her as she ties Amina to the stable. She hugs Faiza tight and pulls her towards the tavern to partake in food and drink as they'd always done. "Where's Geralt?" Before Faiza could answer, Roz moves on to the next topic in her head, "Oh! Never mind! I'm sure he'll turn up! Look over there! The little girls asked if they could use those flowers to make me a crown. Aren't they beautiful?" When they get inside, Roz sits at an open table, "TWO MEADS!" she yells at the owner. "The meads are delicious here! They use honey! Can you believe that!? We are going to have that at the wedding too! I'm so glad you made it!" Faiza smiles at the fact that her friend has managed to stay the same over the past year. But as happy as she is, Faiza knows that she must deliver the news about Cintra and what's to come.

EIGHT

Faiza and Roz sit on their horses overlooking Sodden Hill from a cliff on the Amell Mountains.

"You didn't have to come, Roz," Faiza states. Roz scoffs.

"Those bastards ruined my wedding day. If I can give, at least, one of 'em a swift death...or even a slow one...that's more than enough for me." She tugs at the strap that holds her bow and arrows on her back.

"I'm not a part of this one."

"Why not, then?" Faiza stays emotionless.

"It's not my path."

"Ugh! Now you sound like that damned Unicorn from Hochebuz." Roz dismounts her horse and sits on the ground next to a nearby boulder.

As night falls, Faiza can feel Geralt's need to find the little girl grow.

"He's not only bound to her by the Law of Surprise but by his word," Faiza explains.

"This must be some special little girl," Roz says unimpressed.

"She is actually."

"How so?"

"Do you remember when I rode back to Cintra from Hochebuz?"

"During the royal banquet? That I missed?" Roz shoots a playful side-eye. "Of course, I do."

"It's Pavetta's daughter."

"Uhm...I know. Geralt told us what happened." She laughs. "Old age not agreein' with you any longer, old friend?" Faiza chuckles and rolls her eyes.

"Pavetta was a powerful woman. She could wield an enormous amount of magic without much effort. And her daughter is just like her."

"Well, it fits that Geralt be caretaker for her, then."

"It's his—"

"I know. I know. It's his path. Or destiny. Or something magical like that." Roz waves Faiza and the conversation off.

Faiza rests against the side of the boulder near Roz. A heavy rush of energy pushes through her chest. She stands to see if anyone may have been attempting to sneak up on them. "What is it?" Roz whispers as she sits up from her resting place. Faiza continues to search. No one. She closes her eyes to listen.

"Nothing." That same force of energy pushes through her again. Strong enough for her to have to focus on catching her breath.

"That's not nothing, Faiza." Roz helps her sit back down as Faiza breathes deeply. "Is it Geralt?" Faiza looks up at her and realizes that she hasn't felt him for a while, then slowly closes her eyes.