Chapter 52

Corriane walked out of the caves, happily walking towards her chambers. The chit would be sleeping for sometime. She could go for a bath or mayhap she could have her hair styled again. She was in such high spirits. Nothing could dampen her mood today.

One of the bloody men could walk about and she would not be angered by their presence. Today was a good day indeed. Life was at last smiling upon her, as it should! She had seen much too much grief for her life.
A small smile occupied her lips as her skirts trailed behind her. She wanted to laugh, but a lady never laughed, only smiled. She felt giddy, ecstatic. Her day could only increase in it's goodness. Everything was wonderful, beautiful.

Corriane walked inside her chambers, smiling widely when she noticed the warm bath water which had been prepared for her. A hot bath would be wonderful! Quickly, she removed her clothing and stepped into the bath, her head resting against the tub. Just as she was about to close her eyes, the door to her chambers opened, allowing Fredrick entry. Even his intruding did not damper her spirits. In fact, she welcomed it.

"Would you like to join?" Corriane questioned lazily as she smiled up at him. She actually wanted him to join her, and not because she needed something. No, she wanted to reward him. He had been exceptionally helpful. It had been her mind, but he had been a puppet to her plans. He deserved some sort of reward. Fortunately, men were not so hard to please.

"Mayhap another time. Where is the chit?" Fredrick questioned as his gaze raked over her nude form.

"Passed out in the dungeons." Corriane answered haughtily. She hadn't even been able to reap her full pleasure and the bint had lost consciousness. What good was she? Nevertheless, she would get her chance soon enough.

Something in Fredrick's eyes flashed.

"Why is she unconscious. She is nay to be injured." Fredrick growled.

Corriane looked at Fredrick, her earlier high gone. The insolent man! How dare he side with that wench! He should be asking her how she was feeling, instead he cared about her! How dare he! Corriane was boiling with fury.

"I see no reason why you are so upset. If you want to fuck her, wait until she awakens." Corriane said tartly. She despised the male kind. They were all the same. They all deserved to rot in hell.

"What did you do to her?"

"I castigated her." Corriane said nonchalantly, scrubbing her arms of filth. In doing so, she was able to successfully hide the shaking of her arm, or the slight quiver to her body. She felt angry and betrayed, but she would never let him know. No man would ever have power over her again. They were treacherous, thinking with only their pricks; nothing else mattered to them.

"How?" Fredrick ground out. If anything had happened to the lady....Fredrick would have Corriane's head.

Corriane rolled her eyes but ground out, "I scourged her."

"Ye wench! Why would ye do such a thing!" Fredrick hissed as he began to pace in front of the tub. Corriane's earlier ecstasy completely diminished. Instead, it was replaced with a burning anger which coursed through her veins, nearly scalding her.

"I had no knowledge of your affection's towards the girl." Corriane said scathingly. She was sick and tired of men, tired of their games.

"I have no affection for the wench. If I am to best laird Knight, I need her healthy. Not to mention the advantage I could have over laird Rivers."

"Do not worry of Tristan, he is mine to deal with. I suggest you deal with lord Rivers. That is, unless, you wish to be bested by him once again." Corriane said, a wicked smirk occupying her lips. She knew she had struck a nerve. Fredrick's blotched, red face was sign enough. The prick deserved it, treating her as if she were an errant child.