Leaving You Behind

Writing prompt: You are a character from your favourite fiction book. Write a narrative in about 1000-1500 words.

I stared down at my feet, a strange hesitation washing over me

I stared down at my feet, a strange hesitation washing over me. I never thought that I would return to this place, not after all that had happened. Yet, I found myself standing near the Mellarks' mailbox, years after I had made that promise to myself.

Taking a deep breath, I folded my arms, walking to the decorated oak wood door. I blinked away the tears that threatened to run down my cheeks as I raised my hand to the doorbell.

"Annie." Katniss greeted, her eyes lowered.

"Hey..." I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Come in. Please." She opened the door wider.

I managed to give a weak smile as I passed by her.

"I'm... I'm so sorry, Annie. But, we wanted to be there for you." She said in a low voice.

I looked in her direction and felt my furrowed eyebrows relax. The warmth from the fireplace as well as from her heart, made me forget my pain, even if it was only for a short while. My fingers found their way to the little trident I wore around my neck. This was the last gift Finnick could give me before he left us all.

He knew that he would die and yet, he accompanied Katniss on the mission to win Panem freedom. Back at that time, I did not understand why he was giving his trident, his lucky charm, his family heirloom, to me. Now that I think of it, he gave it to me so that I could treasure it, in his memory. Perhaps, if he had taken his lucky trident with him, he might have even returned alive. But, there is no guarantee to that, either.

"Where is little Adrian?" Katniss asked me, pouring me a cup of tea.

My heart skipped a beat.

"He hasn't reached yet?" I asked, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Peeta did go to receive him. He hasn't returned either. They might be playing near the Hob." She pursed her lips, lifting her gaze to look out the window.

I allowed her words to reassure me, though they failed miserably.

'He will be alright, Annie. He is our son.' Finnick's voice echoed in my head. I pursed my lips, closing my eyes tight shut, nodding in response.

"Katniss, um..."

I reached into my pocket to dig out the little belonging of hers that I happened to encounter. It was her 'Mockingjay pin', slightly blackened at some parts of the circular ring. The Mockingjay, however, remained intact.

"I uh... found this on the train. I believe this belongs to you." I held the little brooch up to my cheek.

Katniss' eyes widened, in fear perhaps. It was as though the pin reminded her of the dark times that had passed, which snatched from her, so many of her loved ones. I should know, I lost Finnick as well.