Prologue

02/22/2020

Kane's P.O.V.

"Get in the damn car Helena! I'm not going to tell you again." slamming my hand on the hood with force. Why can't she just listen to me?

"Leave me the hell alone Kane. I don't have to listen to you." screaming over her shoulder as she walks away from where we were.

"Dammit Helena! Stop being a spoiled princess. Get in the f***ing car now!" shouting back. My self control slowly slipping away as this infuriating girl once again refuses to listen to me.

"Go to hell Kane. Oh wait," stopping her steps then turning to glare at me. "I forgot that you refuse to go back there where you belong! You are the devil himself Kane Cruz and I refuse to get in that car with you or anywhere else with you ever again!" shouting louder, turning on her heels and running to who knows where. Great just great. This is not how I wanted the night to end.

Sprinting to catch up to her, I keep my eyes to where she is heading so not to lose her. It's dark and if she isn't careful she will trip and fall even hurting herself.

"Helena stop!" seeing that she is reaching a small bridge that crosses a train track. And that is when I see it before I hear it. A train heading her way. F*ck! "Helena stop running now!" trying to stop her. My feet picking up speed to catch up to her. If not, she will be heading straight to that train.

The train's horn getting louder the closer I get to her. Damn she's fast. Glancing quickly to my right, the lights are approaching fast. Helena reaches the track and suddenly stops. Thank God. "Helena, back away from the train track." yelling so she can hear me but the sound of the train is getting louder.

I see her hesitate, then step on the track. The train a few feet from her. What the hell. Is she doing what I think she's doing? "Helena! Get away from the track. NOW!" running as fast as my feet can take me. I see her turn, look at me and then step fully on the tracks. "Helena!" but she doesn't move.

Praying to whoever is above, I finally reach her, tackling her to the ground on the other side of the tracks. The train missing us by twenty feet, the horn blaring past us with it's warning to get the hell out of the way.

Rolling down the hill, I tried my best to cover her with my body so she wouldn't hurt herself too badly. Hmph, didn't she just try to get hit by a train? Does it really matter if she only gets a few scratches instead of being mangled up by a train?

Finally stopping on the bottom of the hill, which happens to be grassy field I ended up on top of her. One arm wrapped around her waist the other supporting her head so she wouldn't hit it during the fall.

Minutes pass. The train can be heard in the distance, a reminder of what could have happened just minutes ago. Our breathing is ragged and it takes me seconds to calm my racing heart beat. A whimper breaks the silence. Looking down, my eyes scan Helena's face and body to see if she is hurt. "Get off of me Kane."

I sigh in frustration. "Are you going to run again? Or do I have to carry you back over my shoulder just in case?"

"Leave me alone Kane, please. Just leave me alone." her small hands trying to push me off of her.

"Fine," I grunt pushing myself up and off of her. "Are you going to tell me what the hell where you thinking back there? Did you really want that train to hit you Helena? Huh?"

Now sitting up, she shrugs hers shoulders nonchalantly. "Answer me, now Helena. What the hell were you thinking? Do you hate me that much that you risked getting hit by a train? Answer me! Please." raising my voice to get a reaction from her but she just sits there with tears rolling down her now dirty face from dirt and grass.

Huffing, I bent down in front of her. My hands cup both sides of her face, lifting it up to my eye level. She averts her eyes but I move her head so she can look at mine. "Do you hate me that much that you would risk your life?" asking in a much calmer tone.

"I don't know." answering back.

"You don't know if you hate me? Or you don't know if you'd risk your life?"

"I wanted to hurt you as much as you've been hurting me. If I got hit by the train," shrugging her shoulders again. "Then you would have felt or feel the pain you inflict on me almost everyday."

I can't deny that her words took me by surprise just like I can't deny that they were true. I do hurt her. Sometimes intentionally and sometimes by mistake. I hate that I do. Just like I hate that I can't stop myself.

"Princess." bringing our foreheads together.

"Don't Kane. I can't go on like this. Please, just leave me alone. Let me go." her pleading almost breaking me.

Sighing, I shake my head. "I'm sorry princess but I can't do that. I told you I will never let you go. You're mine just like I'm yours, until our dying breath."