Chapter 1

I relax my grip on my armrest as the captain announces our arrival in metamorphosis, a small city built by an alien race called the Metas. It has been four years since the Metas arrival, they have finally decided to release their barriers, and agreed to let human students attend one of their academies. I remember the day they arrived on earth as we near the academy, not only because my love of sci-fi manifested itself into my real life; it was also the day I felt the first sting of betrayal.

Flashback

It started off like any Monday, waking up to the shrill of my alarm going off on my phone. I quickly silenced it, not wanting to wake up Joe, my stepfather. Joe and I never got along; he was a bitter man when he was sober, more so when he was drunk. A jumble of nerves danced in my stomach as I grabbed my clothes off my chair. Today was the first day as a Senior at Ridgeland High.

I honestly led a glamorous life, my family was well off, I went to the best private school in the state, and I had the sweetest boyfriend, Ryan Hendrickson. I swoon a little at the thought of Ryan. I truly believed he was my soul mate. I smiled in the mirror as I ran my hands through my naturally curly hair, it took me a while to adjust to the dye job my best friend Mindy did on me. I rolled my eyes in fondness at the remembrance of her bleaching my dark brown hair blonde.

I grabbed my purse from my chair and slid my shoes on before leaving my room. A car horn going off had me hurrying down the stairs, throwing the door open. I quickly lock it and turn to see Ryan in yet another new BMW.

I tampered my excitement as I got closer to Ryan. Good morning Ryan," I smile as I reach over to kiss him. He pulled away before I could kiss him, an annoyed look flashed across his face. "Hey babe, how was your weekend?" he replied as he pulled away from my house. I squelched the hurt that wanted to surface at the rebuff. "It... was good. I wish we could have hung out," I replied, trying hard not to sulk." I know, babe, but my dad needed me, you know when I graduate, I will be heading his company."

I mumbled my understanding and stared out the window as he droned on about football. We arrived at school in no time. I barely got out of the car before Mindy tackled me. "Luna! She squealed ''I missed you so much!" I chuckled as I wrapped my arms around her. Like Ryan Mindy and I grew up together, we were like the three amigos. Wrapping my arms around Mindy's waist, I waved to Ryan as he walked off with his football friends. "So, what did you get into this weekend?" I replied as we made our way to our first-class, home economics. I breathed a happy sigh when the monitor in our class displayed the menu for today's coq au vin yummy, I thought to myself.

At an early age, I took a fascination with cooking. I loved creating a feast out of mere ingredients. I get lost in the thought of trying to recreate the meal I had at a famous restaurant a day before. It takes me a minute to realize Mindy wasn't her usually chatty self. Glancing over, I am surprised to see a guilty look flicker across her face. All thoughts of simmering chicken flew out of my head as I grabbed her hand. "What's wrong, Mindy?" As if in a daze, she jerks her hands from me, "oh nothing," she chuckled as she looks at everything but me. "Are you sure? I asked, quirking my eyebrow at her weirdness. Mrs. Allen, our teacher, walked in just before I could shake a response out of her.

The rest of the day seemed to speed by before I knew it I was being dropped off at my house by Ryan. The house greeted me with silence. I exhaled the breath I didn't know I was holding. I enjoy having the house to myself. When I am alone, I can be myself. Humming to myself, I climbed the steps, shrugging off my clothes on the way to my room. Flipping on my tv on the way to the bathroom, I ran back into the room when I heard the first alien encounter come out of my favorite news lady's mouth. I squealed in excitement as I stared captivated at the tv. Two lost hikers stumbled upon a city built in the middle of a mountain literally. It looks as if someone took a giant spoon and scooped the center out of the mountain, dropping the city right in the middle. The president tried without success to issue the first contact with the aliens; they have some barrier blocking them from getting too close. I grabbed my cell phone out of my purse, so excited to tell Mindy about the discovery.

I frowned when my call went to voicemail, Mindy always answered my calls. Putting on sweats, I grabbed my tablet flipping to the news article and grabbed the car keys I got to let Mindy see this. I made it to Mindy's in record time, clutching my tablet, I sprint to her door. I pound on the door, shifting from one foot to the next I could barely contain my excitement. Mrs. Lewis opened the door, a welcoming smile adorning her face.

I waved and ran past her, barely listening to her welcome greeting. Bursting into Mindy's room, I tap on my tablet to display the caption, "Look, Mindy! "I exclaimed, holding up my tablet. Two pairs of startle eyes stared back at me from my best friend and my boyfriend Ryan. Clutching my tablet like a lifeline, I watched mortified as they scrambled to put their clothes on. "it's not what it looks like," Ryan mumbled as he zipped up his pants. Mindy didn't bother to make excuses or even apologize that wasn't her style. She just stared at me, daring me to say anything. With a smirk on her face, she grabs Ryan by the collar pulling him in for a kiss. Biting my lip, I stumble back, shaken I rush down the star's tears blurring my vision. I swipe my eyes walking past Mrs. Lewis in a daze.

At that moment my happy life went to shit. Months went by and all I had to live for was the Metas I was obsessed with their culture. I soaked up everything I could about them, I was thrilled when the president announced a random lottery for their academy. I am pretty sure I passed out when I received my letter in the mail with the date and time I would be leaving for metamorphosis.

Present

As the stewardess announces that we are free to gather our things, I practice my smile. I know I know a smile takes less muscle to make than a frown, but after everything I went through, it becomes harder to be the Luna of before. When I think I perfected that natural smile of long ago, I grab my carry on thankful that I shipped my belongings weeks ago. Taking a deep breath I step off the plane hoping that this would be the start of a new beginning.