Chapter 2

The life of a Meta is a hard one. Our race believes that knowledge is power, and for us, it is. As Meta, we seek information from different lifeforms. We adapt to the culture we feel will better us as a race.

I sigh in irritation at the day ahead. For the life of me, I do not understand what this backwater planet had to offer. Groaning, I roll over, planning on ignoring my duties, only to have something wet soak my back. Jumping up, I rip the sheets from my bed.

I yell for my little sister as I sneer at the welcome signs, she caked in glue and glitter strategically placed around my bed. I quickly get dressed, grabbing one of the posters. I hurry to the dining room.

"Bria," I growl, dropping the sign at her feet. "What did I tell you about leaving your projects in my room?" with a mouthful of sustenance, she mumbles an apology. Opening my mouth to give her a lecture, I let it out on a sigh you can't reason with Bria, she has an answer for everything.

"Good morning, parents," I say irritably.

"Good, you're awake, have some sustenance before the start of the day," my father replied, not even bothering to glance up from his research.

Waving his hand as if to say, look at the bounty I have prepared. I stare at the mountain of cereal boxes with disgust.

"Cereal again, mother?"

Engrossed in her studies as well, she gives a mumbled response. Cooking earth meals still eludes us. The machinery is primitive; we have no problem working a stove. The problem is cooking itself. What flavors blended, how much to add when, and at what temperature is overwhelming to us. Picking out a box of cereal with a funny little man holding a pot of gold, I dig in hating earth with each bite.

***

I can feel the excitement from our people as we wait for the humans to depart the plane. Each of us clutching our homemade welcome signs. Mandax, my friend, stands in front of us. He fidgets nervously, adjusting his ceremonial robes. Be calm, my friend. I sent telepathically to him.

I watch in amusement as he gives a startled squeak. Turning around, he glares at me. Stay out of my head. I can't afford any distractions.

I chuckle to myself. It's his fault he is leading us today. Mandax had to be the best at everything. His easy understanding of the human custom and terminology made him the choice pick to greet the academy\s new additions.

The humans exit the plane one after the other. I fight hard to hide my annoyance at how slow they appear to move. Yes, Yes, we are amazing. Our city glows all hail the Meta's. I watch in growing amusement as the humans form a line only to be accosted by Mandax's enthusiastic handshake.

It is all amusing to watch until she appears. I never saw a being on any planet as beautiful as her. Her brown curls frame her round face, and my fingers itch to touch.

Mandax! I shouted through our link in a near panic. If you touch her hand, I will have no choice but to snap your arm off.

I could feel him wavering between self-preservation and human etiquette. I let out a low growl through the link as beauty reached forward to grab his hand. Mandax quickly jerks his hand back, glancing at me in the process.

What is wrong with you, Alec?

It is her. She stirs something inside of me.

I watch confusion cross her face as Mandax gives her a slight nod before moving to the next human. My friend, is it ok to shake this human hand? An amused Mandax responds in our link. I stare at the female standing next to beauty. I feel nothing for her. Glancing at the other passengers, I quickly realize she is the only one I crave. "Yes, everyone else is ok."

I can not tear my eyes from her. Her skin is the color of Bria's milk after eating Cocoa Puffs. I lick my lips, what I wouldn't give for a taste.

I step forward as if to make my dreams a reality until I am yanked from behind. I glare over my shoulders, who dares to stop me. Gritting my teeth, I snatch my arm from Kiara's grasp.

"Kiara, what do you want."

"We have kitchen duties, Ahen," she replies in her sickly sweet voice.

Ever since we were little, Kiara announced to anyone who would listen that I was her Ahen or the equivalent of a husband in earth terms. I stopped denying her claims when I realized it didn't solve anything. I glance back at the humans, catching a final glimpse of beauty before the crowd swallows her.