1.06 | the truce

the truce //
September 10, 1993

+++

Alexa was released from the hospital several hours after her confession to Percy, and she found herself spending her first weekend back at school catching up on all of the work she missed. Her friends were, of course, happy to help, but Alexa found herself in the company of Hermione Granger, who proved to be much better to study with than Dean and Seamus. Hermione answered all of her questions and the two girls were able to get through a good amount of Alexa's work.

Soon enough, the time came for Alexa's first tutoring session with Draco Malfoy. At half past four on Monday afternoon, the girl was slumped down under a tree near the shores of the Black Lake. Malfoy insisted on meeting there ("I don't want anyone to see me with you in the library and assume that we're friends," he stated adamantly) but Alexa wasn't complaining; as much as she hated being outdoors, she had to admit that she didn't want to be seen in the castle with Malfoy either. Anyway, the whole scene around her was rather peaceful.

Nearly fifteen minutes Alexa waited for Malfoy, and she was growing extremely impatient. Just as she was about to get up and walk back to the castle, however, she saw his insufferable blond head, swaggering down the hill towards her. Alexa rolled her eyes once he sat down next to her. "I know you're not the brightest, but I'm surprised that no one has ever taught you about the concept of being on time," she said, disdainfully.

Malfoy was about to respond before Alexa cut him off again. "You know, it's rather disrespectful that you kept me waiting for so long. I have a plethora of things that I need to get done, and spending time— outdoors not to mention— with someone who incessantly insults my family and friends is not one of them." Alexa didn't know where this hostility was coming from, but it felt really nice to get it off her chest and it felt even better to take Malfoy down a few pegs.

Malfoy's eyes widened. He didn't know Alexa very well, and he didn't know what to expect when he came outside, but he certainly did not expect such contempt coming from her. "Weasley, you're being paid to be here, regardless of what time I show up," he replied. "And in fact, I was on time, until I decided that it would be nice if I stopped in the kitchen and brought snacks. I always get hungry when I study." He opened his book bag and pulled out a bag of treats and offered it to her.

Alexa narrowed her eyes suspiciously before taking a cake from the bag. "Either way, you were late. How do you know where the kitchens are, Malfoy?"

He scoffed, before saying smugly, "I have my sources."

The two stared at each other for a moment, as if they were sizing the other up. In that moment, Alexa remembered what Percy said to her on the very first day of classes. His words rang in her head: swallow your pride and make the best of an unfortunate situation.

"Bloody Percy, always knowing the right thing to say," she muttered to herself.

"Pardon?" Malfoy said.

"Nothing, just thinking about something my brother said last week," Alexa said. Upon his confused look, she added, "--About how I'm going to be stuck with you for the whole year, so I might as well make the most of an unfortunate situation."

"Well, I'm sorry that you're going to be 'stuck with me'. It's not as if this is the most ideal situation for me either," he said derisively. "It's embarrassing enough that I didn't do well on my exams last year, and it's even more embarrassing that promising to study harder this year isn't enough for my parents. And then I find out that my mother went to the school to find me a tutor, and best of all it's you, of all the people in this blasted school. Just bloody fantastic."