Strange Little One

Makuu's POV

The cool water kept me afloat as I slept, sighing, my eyes were closed but I could softly make out the sound of reeds beings pushed aside.
"All right, croc-iddy crocs! Outta the way!" The shrill voice of a little honey badger caused my eyes to snap open and look towards the bank.
"What's this?" Pua mumbled nearby and I smirked. "Looks like a snack." I began to approach the little one but on my way, a lion cub jumped forward to stand beside the badger. "Careful crocodiles. You don't want to mess with us." He growled as he narrowed his eyes at me.
"Who do these little ones think they are?" I questioned as crocs began to join around me.
"I'm Bunga! He's Kion! And you crocs are in our way!" The small honey badger bravely introduced them and shoved a little claw at my snout.
We all shared a laugh at that.
Pua, still chuckling, came to stand beside me. "Little cubs. This is crocodile territory. You should leave. Now!"
"Unless you mean to challenge me." I rose to my full height, staring down at the little ones.
"Oh, yeah! That's right! You bet your bumps I'm gonna challenge you!" Bunga didn't hesitate to stare me down. Then his gaze shifted to the ground as he thought a moment before looking up at me again. "What does "challenge" mean?" He asked but the other crocs had exited the water and were advancing quickly, then Kion leaped in. "Hey! If you're messin' with Bunga, you're messin' with me!" I chuckled. "Oh, good. Two tasty snacks at the same time..."
The cub laid his ears back and gulped.
"Enough!" I took a step back as the Kings' advisor landed in between us and the cubs.
"Zazu?" They watched him out of shock.
"I expect it's merely an oversight on your part, Pua. But surely you did not intend for Makuu to eat... The son of the King?" Zazu formerly introduced the young lion cub, who tried to sit taller.
"This is the son of the King?" Pua questioned, giving the cubs a confused glance. Bunga pointed to Kion. "Him. Not me."
"I hardly think the King would be pleased if your crocs gobbled him up for no reason." Zazu stated matter-of-factly and I gave a soft growl. "'No reason?' These two came to our watering hole and challenged us. We have every right to eat them."
"Makuu is right, Zazu. King Simba knows and respects our ways." Pua agreed and I began to advance again.
"Zazu?" The cubs tried to hide behind the bird, it almost made me chuckle.
"Very well, Pua. I, too, respect the crocodile ways. But, as Kion's well-being is my responsibility..." Zazu flew up and landed in my open mouth. "I offer myself in his place."
"Huh?" I wanted to bring my jaws down on the free snack but a glance at Pua stopped me.
"Though I am but a humble adviser to King Simba, I expect I will satisfy even the most discriminating of palates." That nearly made me snap my jaws shut but Pua shook his head. "Simba is a good and fair King. I would not want to anger him by eating his son, or his royal adviser. Especially one who displays the bravery of a crocodile." Pua sighed. "You three are all free to go."
With that, Zazu jumped out of my mouth, I gave a soft growl of disappointment. "Fine. I wasn't that hungry anyway."
Pua turned to the young cubs and nodded. "Kion. You and your friends should not come here uninvited again."
"Uh... Yes, sir!" The lion cub nodded sincerely as Zazu began pushing them away. "Come you two. Quickly. Back to Pride Rock before Pua changes his mind."
Once the reeds had calmed again, I had entered the water and was about to look for some unsuspecting fish to eat, but the reeds broke once more and a big cat came into view.
I sighed.
What's up with everyone bothering us today?
"Sangoma. What brings you here?" Pua stated, I felt a soft tingle of satisfaction from the annoyance hidden deep in his voice.
The healer glanced around the water after bowing her head to the crocodile leader. "Have you seen a small cub come around here?" She spoke as she continued her search.
I gave a soft growl. Healers...
Pua moved to stand beside her. "Not since just now, Kion and his friend decided to play around our watering hole today, Zazu took them back to pride rock."
Sangoma shook her head. "Not Kion. Her name is Kamari. She has black fur with silvery-white markings. Looks a little strange but she is fascinated with crocs. I thought I might find her here." Pua shook his head and glanced around.
Suddenly, a sharp twinge of pain ran through my body, starting at my tail. Giving a short yelp, I leaped forward a couple of tail-lengths before raising my tail, only to be met with the dark blue gaze of a cub that was nipping at the spine of my tail. I growled at her but she just clambered up my tail, up my back, and stood on my head. She wasn't heavy but slowly turning into a nuisance.
"Kamari!" Sangoma's call rang out and the cub met her gaze, her ears lowering flat against her head. "Uh-oh..." Kamari softly slid behind me to hide. Pua and Sangoma came forward. "Kamari! What do you think you are doing?" Sangoma hissed and the small cub tried to move closer to me. I wanted to move away, but this was just getting interesting. "I-I just wanted to see the crocodiles..." A small whimper came as an answer. Pua lowered his head down to the cubs level. "So you are Kamari..our next healer?" The small cub peaked around my leg and nodded. "It's a pleasure and an honor to meet you so early in your training, young one." He spoke softly as the cub slowly moved out of hiding. "You like crocodiles, hmm?" Pua gave her a questioning glance and Kamari smiled and nodded again.
"She's a good choice." Pua rose and turned to speak to Sangoma. I had laid down in the shallow water and sighed. Kamari heard me and padded closer. "Sorry for biting you...I wanted to see how strong your scales were." She murmured, sitting down in front of my snout. I glanced over to the two talking animals and smirked. "Well, at least it wasn't switched." She gave me a funny look. "I don't have scales..." she glanced down at her own fur and I shook my head.
This cub is weird...
"What's your name?" I gave the young cub a surprised look before answering. "Makuu..."
Kamari tilted her head slightly, staring quizically at me. "How many teeth do you have?" She questioned and I smirked, opening my mouth wide. She stared in awe as she moved closer.
My instinct was to snap my jaws down on the small cub but a glance from Sangoma stopped me.
Kamari came to sit beside my head and giggled. "I don't have as many teeth but at least I'm faster."
"Oh really?" I gave her a side look. "Faster than a crocodile?" The young cub nodded and crouched, giving the deeper water a determined look. "Watch this!" She growled and was about to pounce when Sangoma called her over. "Come, little one. We must get to pride rock before sunhigh. We mustn't keep the royal family waiting." Kamari's ears laid flat in disappointment as she slowly dragged herself out of the water. "Okay....." She turned towards me and flicked her tail. "Bye, Makuu." She trotted to catch up to her mentor as I gave a short snort.
They were halfway up the ridge when Kamari froze, then turned tail and bounded to the edge of the water.
"Hey Makuu, open your mouth!" She shouted.
I barely had time to turn around and open my jaws when she flicked a paw into the water, catching a shining fish in the process and flinging it towards me.
I was almost too shocked to close my jaws in time as the slippery snack landed squarely in my mouth. The small cub giggled again.
"Thanks for showing your teeth! Bye!" Her tail flicked as she raced to catch up with Sangoma.
"Got yourself a little buddy, huh, Makuu?" Tounga spoke in a chuckle and I gave a growl after swallowing.
"Shut up, Tounga..." I went and laid back down to rest.
Sighing, I couldn't help but smile at the memory of the cub.
Yeah, she is the right choice...