New and Improved

Quick Note: Sangoma is a mix between an African Golden Cat and a Caracal.

Makuu's POV

I followed the retreating tail of Pua closely as we made our way towards Big Springs. We had just awoken from our hibernation during the Dry Season and were heading to feed on the fish in Big Springs before the herds returned to the Pride Lands.
We had just passed Nyani Grove, heading upriver towards Lake Matope when something in the reeds caught our attention. After a moment of wary silence, the sleek body of a big cat appeared. "Sangoma, it has been some time." Pua gave a quick bow of respect toward the healer who returned the gesture before giving me a curt nod. "Pua, how was your hibernation?" Pua gave a soft smile as the float gathered behind us, basking in the nearby river. "It was long." The crocodile leader responded simply, earning a nod from the healer. "Yes, yes it was. I'm to assume you are heading to Big Springs? Kama and I have just come from there. Basi has told me he allowed the fish population to grow during the dry season so that there are plenty for your float." Sangoma spoke as she sat down neatly, I partly didn't listen to their conversation as I stared towards our destination.
Can't we just go...
"Speaking of the little healer, where is she?" Makuu hardly heard Pua's question, but turned towards the two at Sangoma's chuckle. "She should be with me any moment, but funny you should call her 'little'..." Suddenly, the reeds swayed as another animal approached the group. "The hippos are all good, Sangoma. Tashi was complaining about a bellyache so I gave her some cattail and-"
I felt my eyes widen at the sleek figure of the big cat. Her black fur and strange markings seemed to ripple over strong muscles. Her ears pricked up slightly in interest as she met my gaze. I noticed she had a nick missing in her left ear along with a couple other scars along her shoulders and flanks.
She's been busy....
I felt my breath catch as I looked at her eyes. They shimmered like late-night stars but regained a calming effect like diving deep into Lake Matope, all the while expressing a wild spark of a fire beneath.
"Kamari, it's a pleasure to see you again. You've grown." Pua was the first to speak and Kamari gave a soft smile, bowing her head politely to the crocodile leader, moving completely out of the reeds and sitting beside Sangoma.

The big cat was just an inch or two shorter than her mentor but was catching up quickly

The big cat was just an inch or two shorter than her mentor but was catching up quickly. "Thank you, Pua. I'm happy to see that the float made it through hibernation without any issues." She spoke kindly. She had definitely changed from the last time they had met, and not only in size. She seemed more respectful, not pouncing on anything.
Not pouncing on me...
I felt a slight twinge of relief from that fact but felt it squash down as Kamari met my gaze and gave a swift nod. "Makuu." She greeted calmly and I returned the nod, giving a soft grunt.
Some crocs had approached to see why we had stopped and once they saw the familiar healers they approached to greet her or ask how her training was doing. Kamari was a good friend to the float and some of the crocs were completely comfortable with her around them.
I gave a soft snort. Crocodiles were supposed to show no emotion, to show no weakness. But the crocs that approached the young healer were acting like hatchlings surrounding their mother for food.
But as I watched, I noticed some of the crocs getting quite close to the feline, causing her to look overwhelmed. I tapped Pua's tail with mine, bringing his attention away from Sangoma and towards the float.
Pua understood immediately.
I wasn't sure if they wanted to eat her or not but we had to go now. "Well, it was a pleasure to see you two again and I hope to see you again in the future but I think we should be on our way," Pua spoke loud enough for everyone to hear. This caused the crocs to notice they were leaving and, after sharing farewells with the feline, turn to follow their leader.
"Let's go, Kama. We still have the zebra herd to check on before heading back to the den." Sangoma bounded over to the young healer, who gave a smile and nod before following her mentor into the reeds. Before she left she glanced back, meeting my gaze, then, with a slight smirk, waved her tail as a farewell before bounding away to catch up to her mentor.
I felt a smile appear on my maw as I turned away to follow the float.
Ok, maybe she hasn't changed that much...