Chapter 29

"There you go, dear. All better now."

I rubbed my newly-healed shoulder tenderly, rotating it slightly to test it out. Good as new.

"Wow..." I breathed out, an amazed and appreciative smile blossoming on my lips. "Thanks a lot, Recovery Girl!"

The elderly lady just gave me that heart-warming smile she always gave me when I visited. It never failed to make me feel better after every injury.

"That's okay, dear," Recovery Girl replied, jumping off the stool she needed to reach my eye level. Even sitting on one of the medical beds, she was still slightly shorter than me.

'So cute! '

"But..." I visibly stiffened at her warning tone, the threatening smile she gave making me gulp. "Keep hurting yourself, and I won't be so nice next time."

All I could do was nod in agreement, not daring to speak against her.

As soon as my slight fear for Recovery Girl faded away, my face creased with nervousness. Recovery Girl's smile faded away at my expression, her wrinkled features morphing with concern.

"Everything all right, L/N?"

I looked her dead in the eye for a brief moment, my hands clenching and unclenching as my heartbeat raced.

"I... I don't know if I can do it." My E/C eyes looked away from Recovery Girl's grey orbs, averting them to look at the suddenly very interesting floor. I felt a dip in the bed beside me, figuring that it was from Recovery Girl. A small, warm presence sat upon my clenched fist.

"What do you mean, dear?" Her voice was gentler than before - caring and loving and full of trust. I turned back to her, gut churning with the inner turmoil I felt.

"I don't know if I can fight Todoroki," I finally said, my voice sounding smaller - frailer - than I'd ever sounded before. But that was how I felt - severely and utterly terrified. I was about to go up against not only my good friend, but probably the strongest guy in my class. He was probably the strongest out of all of the first years at UA High, if I thought about.

'He's crazy strong, and now that he has accepted his fire, he's practically unstoppable.' My head was having an internal battle with my heart, neither side having enough leverage to outweigh the other. 'I told him that I'd beat him, but I don't know if that's possible anymore. I've got nothing compared the power he has. He can wipe the floor with me! Of course I want him to hit me with all he has, and I want a fair an equitable battle, but...'

A sickening thought entered my head, making my anxiety for the situation increase astronomically.

'What if I do, by some miracle, beat him - will he hide away again, or get in trouble with his dad? I just got him back, I don't want to lose him straight away. I want to win, but how can I possibly put him through that? I just can't...'

The warm presence on my hand suddenly left, leaving me craving for it to come back.

"Listen to me, L/N," Recovery Girl stated, the hidden demand in her kind voice enough to force me to obey. She looked up at me, her face all creased and her eyes slightly squinted. If I wasn't so nervous and worried, I'd have cooed at how adorable she looked.

"Just because you're about to verse Todoroki," she started, "doesn't mean he's unbeatable. He is a student, just like you. Yes, he may have a ridiculously overpowered quirk, but your abilities are just as good, L/N."

I could only stare with wide, E/C eyes at her words, dumbfounded at what she was saying. Her signature smile returned to her face, making her grey eyes sparkle under the lights.