Prologue

A small figure sat hurled in the corner of the dark room, the breathing shallow as it struggled to allow air into it's lungs. With a frail hand, the figure brought a skeleton thin hand up to brush long red hair from it's eyes, trying not to tears fall as it felt clumps of hair fall out. The figure knew it wasn't normal for this too happen, it's daily bread was late by at least two weeks and by then it knew something was wrong. 

The figure jumped, trying to push itself back farther into it's tiny corner as the door to it's room creaked open, light from the hallway outside pouring inside. A shadow-like figure stood there, red eyes boring into the darkness. 

"Eh? I thought you said this was locked! Idiots," The figure heard a female voice say, a calm tone matching the click of the steps coming towards it. The sounds only made the figure shiver and hug it's knees closer to it's chest. The only voice it remembered hearing was scratchy, something that reminded her of snakes. 

The figure just wanted the female to disappear, to waste away in this dark and soulless room. Whoever was there just pushed the door open wider causing the figure hide it's head in it's arms before it even dared to look at the person standing there. 

It heard the sound it had grown to hate, the sound that meant someone was taking out something sharp, probably a kunai, since that's all it's been used for since  it could remember. 

The women who had entered the room took cautious steps towards the figure, one that appeared to be no older then nine. She had been taught to always be on alert, even if the defender was weaponless and appeared harmless. God knows what this child could do. There had to have been a reason, they were in Orochimaru's hideout, this girl had to have something special about her that made her so unique. 

The child let out a small whimper which caused the women to lower her kunai slightly, feeling as if the child was harmless, to say the least. 

The child peeked out from where she was hiding her face in her arms, the women letting her kunai drop to the floor. The child was so fragile and skinny that you could see her bones. Her cheeks were hollowed in and the socket's around her eyes seemed to go deep inside her skull. Her arms looked like rails, as well as what the women could see of her legs. 

"Oh my god, how could they do this to you?" She asked, even though she knew the child would most likely not answer. She took the child in her arms, standing as she left her abandoned kunai on the ground. The sound of the child screeching in pain sounded throughout the room, the touch of the women only hurting her. 

Pounding feet were heard outside the room, the thought of more people coming to hurt her made the child scream bloody murder. The women who had found her only wanted to drop the child to shut her ears but she knew she had to control the situation. Three figures appeared in the doorway, weapons at ready as they eyed the small child that was now only whimpering in their comrade's arms. 

"Put your weapons away, idiots.. She couldn't hurt a fly, even if she tried! Do you even see how skinny she is?" She picked up on of the girls arms in emphasis, trying to get her point across. 

The men lowered their weapons, the one with the silver hair speaking first. "Kurenai, we get that she looks weak, but she may still be able to attack." 

Either way, he didn't say no more as he waved everyone out of the room. 

"We're heading back then, you'll bring her to the hospital Kurenai." Kurenai sighed, nodding, knowing it was her duty since she had found the young girl in the first place. 

They all soon left the hideout and after a short break, stopped for some lunch. 

Kurenai walked over to the young girl, she had laid her out on a blanket in the shade so she didn't get heat stroke. She held out her hand, which held a sandwich in it. 

"You wanna eat for me? We gotta get some meat on your bones." She put a forced smile on her face. The little girl just stared at Kurenai, her expression blank. She didn't want the food, if she ate it, she would become the ungrateful pig she had once been, according the snake man. 

Kurenai sighed, breaking off a tiny piece of the sandwich, holding that piece out instead, "At least eat this?" She asked, wanting at least something small in the girls stomach. 

Finally, the young girl took the piece that Kurenai was holding and split the already tiny piece in four pieces, eating the smallest of the four. Kurenai frowned at her, furrowing her eyebrows. 

"Are you going to eat the other three?" She asked, hoping the girl would. 

The girl shook her head, patting her stomach, trying to indicate she was full. 

Kurenai sighed, now holding out her water canteen. "Drink," she ordered the girl. The young girls eyes widened, and she instantly took the water canteen, afraid that if she didn't, Kurenai would hurt her. 

"Do you have a name?" The girl shook her head, water going down the front of her white hospital gown she had been wearing. She hadn't realized how thirsty she had been until now. 

Kurenai frowned, thinking for a few minutes, "How does the name Ayame sound? You're fragile, and delicate, like the Iris flower." 

The girl nodded, fearing of disagreeing with her. 

Kurenai smiled and went back to join her teammates and friends so the little girl could rest. Once she was sure no one was watching she got up and ran. She ran as fast as her weak, skinny legs could carry her. 

Even after about two minutes of running, her heart felt like it would explode in her chest. Her leg's already felt like jelly. No, this can't be happening, I'm supposed to be fit! Why am I already tired? She thought to herself as she kept running. 

Her foot caught with a tree root, bringing her tumbling to the ground. Her scream echoed in the forest, she was sure she had felt her leg crack in two. 

Before she even had time to think, she went tumbling down the side of a steep hill. As she rolled to a stop at the bottom, black spots clouded her vision. 

Her body was covered in cuts and bruises, she felt like her heart would explode and her lungs would burst at any given moment. Then her world went black. 

------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone! So, I decided to post a Naruto fanfiction. My fingers hurt from typing this! 

So, this is only the introduction to the story, and I really hope you like it. I honestly like the idea of this story, and can't wait to write more of it! 

This was moved from my other account to here, just to clear up confusion. xx