Book 3: Chapter 39

"Ryder? Hey?" Auster tried again as he knelt in front of his son, getting no response in return. Liepard cooed from her spot at her trainer's side, her head resting on his knee. Emma paced in the background bunnelby pacing along with his trainer.

"I hope they are okay?" Emma whispered as she heard the door open. Nappy came sprinting in panting, soot covering most of his body with Shady at his side, coated in a similar fashion.

"Where's?"

"Here." Izzy said as she walked into the building, just as exhausted as the two others. "I sent raichu, elekid and galvantula to help the others." Izzy informed as she looked at Ryder. Her eyes landing on the blood stained black hand death gripped in his hands. Izzy froze the tears rising in her eyes as she looked at Emma, begging that it wasn't true. Emma shook her head, her steps picking back up as she continued to pace. Other's around the center tended to their pokemon or themselves or just hiding out from the attack in general.

Most of the incident had settled, but that didn't mean it was safe to go back outside. In the background the live feed of the battle near the Sundial, but Emma pays it little mind. Izzy turns her attention to others focusing her mind on other things rather than the truth about what happened to their friend. She didn't want to know, but at the same time she knew she needed to know. Izzy moved into the center with her friends on her heels as they went to work helping Nurse Joy as best as they could.

Auster glanced at the television screen for a few moments, satisfied as he saw the gym leaders preparing for a battle. Another roar echoed through the building as Auster looked out the sliding glass doors. He could see Rayquaza fighting, fire and ice, spinning around the dragon as parts of buildings fell.

"Can you stop them?" A voice asked as Auster turned to look at Shady who had walked up beside him.

"No. Rayquaza isn't like a normal pokemon partner, if he believes that he is right, he will do it even without the input of a trainer. If he believes whatever Ryder commanded, I will never be able to stop him." Auster informed Shady as he looked at the previous champion, concern muddling his features.

"That's not a good sign." Shady stated as a figure came sprinting towards the center. Streaks of green hair came through the soot and dust covered hair as Jack sprinted forward, rampardos on his heels. He burst through the doors coughing harshly as Auster immediately was at the teens side.

"What happened?"

"The tower... it's on fire... so many buildings are on fire. They are fighting." Jack coughs covering his mouth as best he could. "The others are fighting... I got everyone out I could find."

"You did good, son." Auster stated as Jack fell to his knees, spitting soot out of his mouth. Ryder blinked at his friend before getting to his feet, pulling the red blanket from around his shoulders and draping it around Jacks.

"Ryder..." Jack whispered as he grabbed Ryder's right wrist not allowing the other to pull away. The black hat stared back at Jack as he looked up at his traveling partner seeing the falling tears. Slowly, Jack got to his feet as Emma came to a halt, her eyes locked on her two friends. "Hey it-" Jack didn't get the chance to finish as Ryder wrapped his arms around the green haired man. Jack embraced the shaking teen back as he felt the sobs rack the youngers body.

"I'm sorry." Jack whispered as Emma's tears started to fall. Jack opened his arm as Emma rushed to him and another pair of arms wrapped around them from the other side as he gazed down at Izzy as she clutched to her brother. An explosion sounded behind them as the group fell silent, the lights flickering out above them as people around the center screamed in fear.

"Ryder we have to stop him." Jack stated as Izzy sprinted outside, the tears still staining her skin.

"All of you thunderbolt!" Izzy screamed as the electric type ears perked up as raichu, galvantula and elekid obeyed their trainer. Electricity surged forward as it careened through the air, the other pokemon dodging the attack before it struck rayquaza. A roar escaped the legend as it shook itself and Izzy came to a halt behind her three partners.