Eery

I woke up and saw a bright light shining through my window. I crawled out of bed to see snow falling and the sun shining, making daytime brighter. I shielded my eyes from the glow of the snow.

"I see that you're awake," Mom said. I turned to see her standing in the doorway.

"Yeah, the light woke me up. I never realize how sensitive your vision is until you have black eyes," I sighed, walking over to my bed and crawling into it.

Mom entered my bedroom and sat down on my bed next to me.

"Mal, why did you go to the sheriff's house?" Mom questioned with a look that I knew all too well.

"I was curious about something," I answered.

Mom looked at me, curiously.

"Lakewood is a small fishing town where the locals don't welcome outsiders. If murders are happening in a town where everyone knows everything, then why hasn't anyone caught the serial killer?" I asked.

Mom looked at me with surprise. I got out of bed, walked over to my dresser, and opened a drawer. I pulled out a folder, then shut the drawer, handing Mom the envelope. She took it from me and opened it, looking at the contents.

"Mal, where did you find this?" Mom asked, looking at me.

"I found it behind a panel in the sheriff's closet. He kept a lot of information about the crime scenes along with files from the Leland case. I thought the police were supposed to help people," I mentioned.

"The good ones do. Your dad said there's always a few bad apples in the bunch. Corruption happens in any place. People let the badge affect their ideal of right or wrong," Mom explained.

"I know I upset you and Dad when I went to the sheriff's house with Abby, but I couldn't let it go," I reasoned.

"You're like your father in that aspect. You take after him in so many ways with his traits," Mom told me.

I smiled at that thought. I admired my dad in so many ways.

"I have a question," I said.

Mom looked at me, questionably.

"You know Luka's mom. What was she like?" I asked.

"I met Gale after I started dating your dad. Your dad, Joe, and Charlie graduated from the police academy together. Clair was sweet, but Gale seemed different," Mom said.

"Different, how?" I asked.

"Joe was friendly, but Gale seemed reserved. She didn't say much and made comments regarding Clair and me. She accused us of having a thing for Joe," Mom told me.

I furrowed my brows.

"It was like Gale was jealous of us, and we never gave her a reason for it," Mom added.

"What did Dad and Charlie say about it?" I questioned.

"They talked to Joe and told us to keep our distance with Gale. We did," Mom explained.

I sighed.

"Malia, I know you have questions, but let your dad do his job. We don't want you getting hurt again," Mom reasoned.

I nodded. I didn't want to worry about my parents or Luka. After what happened, I wanted to finish high school and survive.

******
I spent most of the day lounging around the house. Mom made me soup, and I took pain medication. My parents let me stay home from school for the next few days until I felt better.