Part 2

ANNA BRADLEY wished more than anything that she didn't have to work her way through grad school. That somehow she could afford her apartment. But life just didn't have those things in the cards for her right now. She struggled, and she knew she wasn't the only one but that didn't stop her from feeling just the slightest bit sorry for herself now and then.
She hated the way her hair was always frizzy, no matter how many times she used a deep conditioner. There wasn't a product out there that had tamed it so far. Every morning while she looked in the mirror was a string of frustrated sighs and annoyed groans.
Her one bedroom apartment was filled with things that Anna loved. She painted the brick walls with light yellow paint in an attempt to make it feel warm. Her window sills were filled with plants of all shapes and sizes. Some with flowers, some with vines. Every morning she made sure to say 'hello' to them, gently patting the top of the cactus' before opening the curtains to make sure they got all the sunlight they needed.
Magenta was Anna's 10 year old dachshund who loved to lay on her fluffy pillow at the end of Anna's bed and soak in the sunlight as well. Her sweet little face was graying slightly around her eyes and nose, but she was still Anna's little baby that she adored. Every morning before Anna left for class, she made sure that Magenta was comfortable, kissed her head and told her to watch over the place. It was routine for them all.
It was quiet inside the small apartment, which was something Anna appreciated. There was a constant buzz of sound outside in the busy city, but not in here. She kept an endless supply of tea in the cabinet just to the left of the sink and every time she opened that particular cabinet she was met with the worlds most flavorful aroma.
"Rents late again, Anna." Mrs. Parks said as she caught Anna trying to sneak through the lobby of the building.
"I know. And I swear, any tips I make tonight are coming straight to you, Mrs. Parks." Anna tries to smile convincingly. Mrs. Parks sighs and motions with her head for Anna to go. Anna quickly mouths 'thank you' before heading outside into the crisp night air.
Nights were surprisingly cold in Las Vegas, it was something that took a bit of getting used to. Working the night shift at the diner was something else that took some getting used to, but there wasn't another option when classes took up most of the day otherwise. So she drug her tired body into Gordo's almost every night so she could serve to drunk college kids and late night casino goers.
And then there was Luke. He always sat at the same table, most of the staff knowing not to seat anyone there because he would inevitably be coming in. He had floppy blonde curls on his head and a perfectly sculpted jawline. Not that Anna was paying attention to those types of things. But she may have noticed a time or two that his nose turned up just slightly. She knew that the hottest fires truly burned blue, and that his eyes were no exception to that. Most of his wardrobe consisted of black and leather, which wasn't unusual for the most part but he wore it always, even this past summer when it was practically radioactive outside. Those gloves he was always wearing had to be ridiculously uncomfortable.
It bothered Anna that after knowing him all these months, she truly didn't know him at all. Maybe that's why he was so alluring. Maybe that's why she had such a desire to be close to him. But any time she tried, he literally and figuratively pulled away. He was untouchable.
"Schedule says 9:00pm, Anna." Gordo shouted through the order window as Anna walked briskly through the diner door, seeing the clock on the wall read 9:03pm. She rolled her eyes.
"Got it, Gordo." Anna slipped into the back where Michael was tying his apron on behind his back.
"Everything okay?" Michael asked, noticing Anna's frustration.
"Yeah...I just really need to make a ton of tips tonight before Mrs. Parks kicks my ass to the curb." Anna sighed, throwing her apron on over her head and tying it haphazardly.
"I can help you, if you just ask." Michael leans against the wall watching as Anna rushes around, grabbing her order pad and pen from the basket on the counter.
"I'm sure I'll be fine. But thank you, Mikey." She pats his shoulder quickly, throwing her hair up messily and then pushes through the swinging door to get out onto the diner floor.
The night was slower than usual, frustrating Anna to no end. She could feel herself getting more and more upset, but she held back as much as she could so no one would notice it. But Luke noticed everything about Anna, and he knew something was wrong.
"More coffee?" Anna asked him as she approached the table with a smile, but it didn't reach her eyes like it normally did.
"Do you get a break?" Luke asked, closing his book quietly and sitting it down on the table.
"What?" Anna asked, shocked that he had asked.
"A break. Will you have one soon?" Luke said.
"Yeah...I mean I could." Anna shuffled over the words she spoke, still flustered that he asked her.
"Sit." He motions towards the seat across from him at the table. Anna stared at him a moment longer, then blinked to clear her thoughts.
"Michael, I'm on break, okay?" Anna looked behind her to where Michael was standing at the register.
"Sure thing." Michael smiled and wiggled his eyebrows at Anna, her cheeks heating up as she quickly turned away to look back at Luke.
"Right. Um hi." She said as she slid into the booth across from Luke.
"Why are you upset?" He asked bluntly.
"I'm not upset." Anna replied, biting at her lip nervously. Luke merely raised one of his perfect eyebrows in disbelief. Anna sighed. "I just have a lot on my plate. Grad School. Trying to pay my rent. Just feeling the effects tonight I suppose."
"Your struggling upsets you?" Luke asks, watching her face carefully, wishing he could pull her lip from between her teeth as she chewed at it.
"Yes. More than usual." Anna sighs, her breath blowing her hair away from her face, slouching back into the booth as if she's deflated.
"The tips you receive here, they go directly to you?" Luke asks, reaching into the back pocket of his black jeans and grabbing out his wallet.
"Most of the time." Anna laughs a little, knowing Gordo likes to keep extra for himself now and then.
"Then put this in your pocket, and pretend I never gave it to you." Luke opens his wallet, and pulls out four one hundred dollar bills and sets them on the table in front of her. Anna almost chokes on air as she gasps.
"Luke, I could never accept this." Anna pushes the money back towards him.
"Why not? It's your tip." He closes his wallet and puts it back into his pocket.
"It's too much. Way, way too much." Anna's eyes are wide as she looks down at the money.
"I don't understand. Your service is always impeccable, I'm merely giving you what I think is deserved." Luke pushes the money back towards her as he begins to gather up his things.
"Luke...I can't." Anna shakes her head in disbelief that he would even consider leaving her this much money.
"Consider it a loan then. You can pay me back when you're able." He stands up, pulling a black beanie onto his blonde curls and slipping his backpack on.
"You'll let me pay you back?" Anna asks, her mouth dry.
"Of course. When you can." Luke smiles, giving her one last look before he starts going towards the door.
"Luke! Wait!" Anna quickly hops out of the booth and stands in front of him before he gets to the door. "Why would you do this for me?"
"You deserve to have a place to sleep and food to eat. It's simple." Luke sighs gently, wishing the freckles on her cheeks and nose weren't so endearing. Anna bites her lip and closes her eyes for a moment.
"Thank you." She steps up close to him, lifting up onto her tip toes and pressing a quick kiss to his cheek. Luke can feel his skin warming under the feeling of her lips. It was the most affection he had felt in ages. He gave her a tight lipped smiled and proceeded the rest of the way out of the diner.
Anna had no idea why he really did what he did. He hardly knew her and still so willingly handed over more than enough money to help her get ahead on things for the time being. She looked at the money once more and then shoved it into her pocket before anyone else could see it, her smile widening. The troubles she had been feeling just minutes before this slowly lifted off of her shoulders and chest and she could breathe again. Paying Luke back was one thing, but making it up to him would need to be really special.