One watcher, two spotters (rewrite)

Note: this isn't the entire chapter rewrite, it's just this specific scene I'm rewriting. I realized that there's a lot of plot-line I somehow forgot and I left out many open holes waiting to be filled in with answers. Younger me did give older me some work to do, so I hope with these rewrites I can clear a few things up and resolve some confusion. Not this one though, this ones just because I'm bored 😉.

Adriana gently caressed the chain around her neck, a warm feeling coursing throughout her body. Sudden memories of the past came flooding back to her in that instant, so many questions she had longed to be resolved were soon answered. Her mouth was left open with realization, she could feel the glare of her opponent pierce through her skull.

"You never created the necklace," she mumbled, more to herself than to her. "It was already a dream, a dream you couldn't touch. You're afraid of it, aren't you?" She gripped it with her hands as pride coursed through her veins. "Admit it! You're powerless against it!"

Ariana growled as a sudden dark orb fringed past Adriana. She barely had time to blink before she was already moving out of the way. The orb scratched her shoulder slightly so she placed a hand on it to check for bleeding.

"Stop gloating, would yah? I wouldn't bet my life on that thing just yet. I don't fear it, I pity it! It had been my job to destroy your dreams," she stopped for a moment to stare at the broken wall of the school. Behind the non-existent barrier was the group of huddled up children, still taking the time to process all the events that have just happened. She looked back up, "and yet still the only thing that stood in my way was that idiotic chain wrapped around your neck. The rules were simple: whoever touched it first could control its power. That necklace is one of the only things that could eternally trap both me and you without escape.

"But the minute the holder takes it, off it's every man for themselves. FYI that thing isn't trying to protect you, it's trying to protect itself. It was given only two jobs: to become a deadly device of energy, and to keep itself alive. As soon as you're dead it'll stop feeding on your dreams and will need a new vessel to live off of: Me!"

She extends both of her arms out in front of her, a round sphere of darkness beginning to form. It looks unstable and it grows bigger and bigger by the second. The look in her face was pure insanity and evil, she was risking it all. If she missed this she wouldn't be able to muster up most of her strength for a while, it was now or never. This was the only chance she got to turn the tables.

"So hand over the necklace, or face the consequences~"

Adriana held out a glowing fist, she would never back down! She spat at the ground as her hair flew around herself messily. "Over my dead body'" she sneered, the energy forming from a pure substance of rage and fury. She's had enough with this internal abuse and will take it no more.

"That can be arranged~" Ariana coos, Adriana did not so much as blink.

"Fine then, have it your way." The ball had reached a maximum size, one that could only be formed after a long period of time. She thrusted her arms out and Adriana was ready. She turned around and threw the ball towards the school at such a blinding and impossible speed. It destroyed everything in its path and came closer and closer to all the children and their panicked faces.

"NO!"